1960 7GCB

Robert

I have just bought an old messed up 1960 GCB. I don't know why I do these things.
Is there any 7GCB owners out there that can tell me what POH they use. I just might get this thing in flying condition and if it gets of the ground I'd like to know what to do with it.
Robert

Bruce

Post some pictures so we can give suggestion😁 Welcome to the project group where are you based.

Robert

No, it's too ugly. Probably later. It's been mauled by bears and pooped all over by mice. I'm rebuilding the engine right now. I've fixed the landing gear up and will be patching the rest of it up pretty soon. All I want now is a relevant "Pilots Operating Handbook" so I can put some numbers in my head so I won't have any of those embarrassing moments I hear people talk about.
Robert

Bob Turner

What kind of embarrassing moments? Are you looking for a book on how to fly the thing, or systems, or maintenance? I assume you are just beginning your flying career - if so, find a really good instructor to help you out.

And - my opinion - get a good checklist, like cigar tips and gumps, to help you with the important stuff. Most POH checklists are so long and detailed that most pilots skip them. That breeds contempt of checklists; not a good idea.

It could be that a 1960 Champ still operated under the old rules, with instrument markings. You can get POH copies from Univair for later models like 7GCAA and 7GCBC.

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
Under the generally accepted identification standards and not the Bob Turner identification standards (where they're all Champs), would a GCB technically be a Champ still?

Can you tell us a little bit more about it Robert? Engine? A few photos would be nice, ugly or not, we're rooting for you! lol

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
And welcome to the site!

There's a short cut to get here, try CCDforums.com, easier to type on a cellphone if you're like me and don't set up bookmarks and that sort of thing

Photos make sites like this buzz and there's a whole area for project threads where your info and photos will be there for the next person to do what you're doing.

The project area is here; https://champcitabriadecathlonforums.com/forums/projects-build-threads.49/
You don't have to post a ton of stuff, whatever you have time for would be appreciated. There's a post in the Navaids section for how to post photos in batches

Bruce

we all are interested in any one who has the birds and bring them back to flying condition. I did a quick search for a POH on the web and found one for a 75 GBC that-should get you in the Neighborhood of what you are looking for. I hope I may speak for all of us and say it’s a good feeling to see what you started with and where you may take it.

I entered 1975 citrabra Poh

Bob Turner

Here you go

XV - Model 7GCB, 2 PCL-SM (Normal Category), Approved April 28, 1960
For operation in the acrobatic category, see NOTES 2(b)(12) and 10. Model 7GCB is generally similar to the 7GCA except for modified wing and fuselage structure as required for addition of wing flaps, increased wing area and increased rear seat weight limit.

That's from page 9 of the type certificate. My iPad has a difficult time with cut and paste - lots more on page 9.

Also note the placards required by note 2(12) p. 33, and the fact that AFMs did not become required until March 1979, and even then not for the 7GCB. See p. 36.

Bart has a quick link to that document.

So in short, there is no POH for your aircraft - at least not an official one. Sometimes folks make up their own and sell them - usually a rip-off (opinion). Do buy the Citabria books from Univair. I have copies of those for my shop for both Citabria and Decathlon. They can occasionally be useful.

Last edited:

Robert

I didn't expect the great response. Thank you all very much! Where to start? I guess You all want pictures, I'll get that done, but computers, picture, and stuff are as foreign to me as metric.
This plane has an O-320A2B ND that has been shook pretty hard I believe for +-2000hrs due to a bent flange. The case halves were badly fretted, I sent the case down to CCS and they did there magic and yellow tagged it. I had another crank for it and lifters rebuilt and balanced everything, I just got the bearings yesterday. I ordered a scope to look down the struts to see what's going on down there. I also will be checking for spar cracks. So I'm pretty busy, I want it flying this spring. It won't be pretty but I'll patch the claw marks and clean it up. I have a set of PK1800 floats for it so we'll see how far I get.
I will probably use the 1975 7GCBC POH as it looks to be similar to the 7GCB gross weight etc. I don't see much difference in them, until the later 7GCBC that has an 1800 GW.
I better get to work, it's 18.6F here this morning I'm told that it's going down to -30 in a day or two, I don't like working out there when it's that cool.
(My tongue sticks to the tubing).
Robert

This is how I found it. Interesting hanger, an engineer built it. Good job, as it's been there a long time.
cgcb1.JPG

Last edited:

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
What did a new crank set you back if you don't mind me asking? I've got most of an engine that will need inspection/overhaul/assembly but no crank

Robert

I didn't actually buy it I traded for it, it cost around $1000C shipping and handling to have it reworked and balanced. Probably $500US.
Robert

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
that's a great story and a great photo! please do post more, I'm curious to see the bear damage and how you fix it. will it be done in the spring or just ready to be flown before more repairs are done?

Robert

This is one of the few, this is a Champion challenger 1960 7GCB, it's about 100lb lighter than the 1975 7GCBC with the same gross. I don't know why yet, maybe some the difference is in the gear and associated tubing. I'll be weighing it when I get it back together.
The claw and teeth marks aren't all that bad, I taped them for transportation so you can't see much, the little darlings didn't do any structural damage that I'm aware of. The mice may have.
Robert

Attachments

3bounce

I owned a B years ago, and now own a 73 BC. Very little difference in the operating handbooks. The B has 4 notches or 28degrees of flaps, and the BC has 5 or 35 degrees, other main difference is the oleo gear vs the steel spring gear. The B landed more tail heavy, but my BC has a constant speed prop, and that could contribute to the difference in landing attitude. The trim is overhead on the B, and actually easier to reach than on the BC. I think you will love flying the old B, they were great old planes, and the long dorsal round tail looks great.
Leo

Robert

I owned a B years ago, and now own a 73 BC. Very little difference in the operating handbooks. The B has 4 notches or 28degrees of flaps, and the BC has 5 or 35 degrees, other main difference is the oleo gear vs the steel spring gear. The B landed more tail heavy, but my BC has a constant speed prop, and that could contribute to the difference in landing attitude. The trim is overhead on the B, and actually easier to reach than on the BC. I think you will love flying the old B, they were great old planes, and the long dorsal round tail looks great.
Leo
Good to hear from you 3bounce
What power plant and prop are you using? That must make quite a difference to it's performance, having a constant speed prop.
Could you tell me if you think that having a balanced elevator on the GCB would be worth the trouble. (I think I know where there is a balanced elevator) I'm going to have to work on the stab. and rudder anyway. I'll have to weld some small compression tubes into the stab so I can bolt the seaplane fins on so maybe I should make the change.
Robert

3bounce

I'm just running the standard 150hp O320 a2b modified to a3b for the constant. The balanced elevator certainly can't hurt, but cant begin to guess how much difference you would feel on floats. If you could find a constant speed for floats I think it would be worth the investment.
Leo

Robert

I'm just running the standard 150hp O320 a2b modified to a3b for the constant. The balanced elevator certainly can't hurt, but cant begin to guess how much difference you would feel on floats. If you could find a constant speed for floats I think it would be worth the investment.
Leo
Thanks, I'll look around and see what's out there.