Citabria 1968 Citabria 7ECA lower wing strut bolts

Zachtheame

I have a 68 7ECA and the lower wing struts are starting to exhibit some play that is in the airframe fitting. It is not a ton of play yet but would like to find out if there are any approved repairs for that fitting ie. over sizing to a close tolerance bolt or something similar.
I have already replaced the bolts with new and can confirm they are torqued properly but this made minimal difference.

Slipinonfinal

Having proper torque on the bolts has little to nothing to do with the slop in the airframe attach fitting, as the slop you are describing is coming from a shearing force, not a tension force. The only legal remedy I know of in that location is cutting the attach fitting off and welding on new ones.
If someone else knows of another legal remedy I would love to hear what it is. Good luck, Brian

Bob Turner

It is possible that oversized bolts are legal. I re-did a Cessna 180 empennage with 1/64” oversized AN bolts from Genuine - but lately I am not sure such bolts are available. I believe you can get them in NAS bolts - much stronger.

You need a precision ream that is adjustable to the new size.