Citabria 7GCAA fuel tank leak

Airportbum311

Hello all,

This is my first post so I apologize if it’s in the wrong spot! The airplane is a 1966 GCAA. Previous owner reported the right tank had been repaired on two separate occasions for leaks. Unfortunately it has started leaking again!

I’d like to remove that tank and replace it with something new. I have wood spars, I know I could buy new wings from A.C. but unfortunately that’s not in my budget at the moment (thanks covid) but also having a difficult time finding a replacement tank.

Does anyone have an idea (or a spare tank) on what I should do? Is there any other model Citabrias that have tanks compatible with the GCAA?

Thank you!

Bob Turner

That is a great question. My first assumption would be that all 7-series wood spar wings would be darn near identical, and ready to accept any gas tank. I do not know for sure, but Rainbow Ron would.

Fixing a leak in a Decathlon is a difficult and expensive proposition. I assume the 7 series would be a bit easier, since the tanks are smaller?

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
Have you tried calling ACA to ask about a new tank? They say their new 8KCAB tanks won't fit in a Bellanca wood spar wing but I'm not 100% convinced that that's the case.

Has the tank ever been removed for repairs? Old school radiator shops are a good option if the repairs are straightforward enough and there are shops that are aviation grade that specialize in repairing/refurbishing tanks like ours.

Welcome to ChampCitabriaDecathlonForums.com! Happy to have you here and glad you got right to posting your situation. :)

Bart

Hiperbiper

The GCAA ECA and GCBC should have the same type of tank...
First off; where is the tank leaking from? Next, what type of "repairs" were done? Re-welding? Sloshing? Silicone and a sheet metal screw? Don't laugh at the last one...I've seen it done...!
The really good news is if you're in Houston there are many many good TIG welders around...
The bad news is any tank of the same vintage will probably be in the same general condition and a factory-new one is expensive (think: dollar sign in front of the part number🤑...).
And BTW, some of us prefer wood spars...🙂🙃🙂

Chris

Airportbum311

Have you tried calling ACA to ask about a new tank? They say their new 8KCAB tanks won't fit in a Bellanca wood spar wing but I'm not 100% convinced that that's the case.

Has the tank ever been removed for repairs? Old school radiator shops are a good option if the repairs are straightforward enough and there are shops that are aviation grade that specialize in repairing/refurbishing tanks like ours.

Welcome to ChampCitabriaDecathlonForums.com! Happy to have you here and glad you got right to posting your situation. :)

Bart
I was told the new tanks won’t fit into the old wing and I took that as truth. However you sparked motivation to call ACA and see what they had to say. Apparently they do fit and they can have a set made. So this will probably be the route I take!! Thanks for judging me to call!

Last edited by a moderator:

Airportbum311

The GCAA ECA and GCBC should have the same type of tank...
First off; where is the tank leaking from? Next, what type of "repairs" were done? Re-welding? Sloshing? Silicone and a sheet metal screw? Don't laugh at the last one...I've seen it done...!
The really good news is if you're in Houston there are many many good TIG welders around...
The bad news is any tank of the same vintage will probably be in the same general condition and a factory-new one is expensive (think: dollar sign in front of the part number🤑...).
And BTW, some of us prefer wood spars...🙂🙃🙂

Chris
Thank you for your reply! The tank was taken out twice and re-welded.. I’m not sure where the leaks were. I inherited the airplane and their is a lot of sentimental importance to get it going. I called ACA after Bart suggested it and they said they could make some new tanks for me.

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
I was told the new tanks won’t fit into the old wing and I took that as truth. However you sparked motivation to call ACA and see what they had to say. Apparently they do fit and they can have a set made. So this will probably be the route I take!! Thanks for judging me to call!
Happy to help, glad it worked out for you. :)

Tangogawd

How much we talking?! I'm rebuilding my wings now, and I'm not sure the ones I sent in for testing/repair will make the cut