7GCBC left window latch

Rick

I have a new window latch that was provided when I bought the plane, it looks to be more sturdy than the current ones installed. However, the holes on the new mounting hardware on the window do not match up. Just curious if anyone on here has replaced theirs, and if so any pointers before I get started?

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm having the same problem Rick. It looks like the hole in the window frame takes a #8 machine screw but the hole in the window opening is harder to figure out.

Can someone please post a photo of the latch piece and how it is attached to the window frame and how it is attached to the window opening on the fuselage side? It might require two or three photos to explain how it is supposed to be done.

Thanks!

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
Pic, its the two holes around the corner from the one hole on the edge of the frame. the two holes make it look like there's supposed to be a bracket or something there.

@Goodyear any chance you'll have a minute to shoot a photo when you're at the airplane tomorrow?

Thanks

IMG_20191116_124321590.jpg

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
anyone have a picture of the forward frame of the window opening on the left side of the cabin where the latch/keeper mechanism attaches? there are three holes for what seems to only need one so I'm wondering if I'm missing a bracket of some sort.
Thanks!

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
Called ACA, and the answer is.......

a rivet!!!! a frickin' rivet!

It's a #8 screw into the window side of the hinge/strap thing and a rivet into the steel frame on the aircraft side of it.

Rick

I guess I could have been a little more descriptive. I am looking to replace the latch that holds the left window open. The new kit came with a bracket that mounts on the bottom of the wing. It seems to be stronger metal, however one of the rivnuts is spinning on the old one preventing me from removing it. The new latch that needs mounted on the outside of the window needs holes drilled for the rivnuts. The fact I can’t remove the old hardware has put this project on hold, but I need to get working on it so it’s ready to go this spring.

Attachments