7GCBC Wings ??

Mjk1951

Had a hangar fire last night and my 1979 7GCBC is no more.... I had her for a year and really enjoyed that airplane... what a great flier.. I removed the wings and had them recovered, they were off site at the time of the fire. Since the wings, flaps, and ailerons are about all thats left can anyone offer some guidance on what they are worth??
They have wooden spars, in great shape. Rainbow STC screws replace all nails. Rainbow inspection plates on top wing surface. Recovered with Stitts Poly and painted. Ready to bolt on. Hopefully some one may have use of them.

Thanks
Mike

Bob Turner

What a sad story! Did insurance cover your loss?

You might check the price of the new ACA wings and set price accordingly? The factory had a trade-in policy a while ago - you could easily double that.

Mjk1951

Yes we have insurance. The plane was out of the "T" hangar and in the main hangar for it's annual. The main hangar was destroyed. Just bad timing I guess. I will check the pricing at ACA... good idea .. thanks Bob

kcabpilot

Not sure how it works but if the insurance company pays to replace your airplane won’t the wings “technically” belong to them? In which case you’d have to buy them back.

Mjk1951

Well KCAB was right .. The adjusted dropped in today. The insurance company will take possession of the undamaged wings. And cut a check for the total loss. It's hard to look at but... Start looking for a replacement Citabria tomorrow...7GCBC is my first choice but a GCAA or KCAB will do fine.
12.jpg11.jpg

kcabpilot

Depends on how you look at it, the other option would be get paid the value of the fuselage and engine and be stuck with a set of wings you need to find a buyer for. At least this way you have the money to buy a new plane and go fly. I suppose another option is to buy the wings from the insurance company and find a Citabria that needs new wings.

Clifford Daly

Buying it back from them will probably be the cheapest you could get a set of wings unless they try valuing them as metal ones. If you get another plane that you can use them for then hang them up Incase you ever need them! It was my original plan for my citabria to find a set of wings to do the spar conversion and keep the original wood spars for when I sell it OR needed to change wings in a hurry! Just a thought..

Also, I don’t think many insurance companies would just sell the wings. Most likely the plane, if you can get the data plate then do it! Not sure with fire but I know with salt water damage most pull the data plate so it can never be flown again.

Pictures are so sad!

Bruce

I'm new at this what is the difference in 7ECA wing and the 7GCBC wing? I have bought a 79 ECA that may need wings so I may be your candidate if they will work. I also just joined this site today so this might be good first day.

Bruce

Had a hangar fire last night and my 1979 7GCBC is no more.... I had her for a year and really enjoyed that airplane... what a great flier.. I removed the wings and had them recovered, they were off site at the time of the fire. Since the wings, flaps, and ailerons are about all thats left can anyone offer some guidance on what they are worth??
They have wooden spars, in great shape. Rainbow STC screws replace all nails. Rainbow inspection plates on top wing surface. Recovered with Stitts Poly and painted. Ready to bolt on. Hopefully some one may have use of them.

Thanks
Mike
where was this? I might be interested in the wings not sure if this is the way to correspond.

Bob Turner

Sure it is. I think the insurance company got them. You have a couple choices - metal spar from the factory, or if you find someone who wants metal spar, buy their wood spar wings for slightly more than the factory would pay. Or find that insurance company.

Oh - GCBC has flaps; most of the others don't.

Bob Turner

Just saw your other post. If hail damaged your wings beyond repair, you probably need to jack up the engine and park a different airplane under it.

Bruce

Not sure of the condition of the spars, the plane was in for annual and parked outside when hail hit hard enough to knock the paint off the upper surface but I don't think it punctured fabric. The IA said it was fly able to get ferry permit but it's been 11 years since I flew tail wheel ,and second this time of year from SD to TN is a long cold ride. So I am going to get it early Jan. I was shocked for what I bought it for. I was sure someone would out bid me. But for whatI have in it and time to recover and still be in good shape if it needs spars I think it was still a good deal. I will know more by end of Jan.
Thanks for the response as I am new to the tail wheel community.
Merry Christmas
Bruce

Bob Turner

Find somebody, insure them and get them to fly it for you. Cheaper than disassembly and trucking. My friend Marie Claire does them all, from Stearman to Pitts, Winter and Summer.

YBerdnikov

Fore some reason I'm not able to start private conversation.
Mjk1951, are those wings still for sale?
I plan to start groundlooped 7gcbc restoration project, need to find sources for all replacement parts.

Mjk1951

For Y Berdnikov and or Bruce:

The wings from my 79' 7GCBC are here (NW Ohio) in my hangar. They belong to Old Republic Aerospace, my insurance company. To my knowledge they intend to post them for salvage bidding on their website. http://www.aircraftsalvageonline.com. Incidentally they now have a ground looped 7gcbc on the salvage site for bid.
The wings were offered to me by the adjuster. Not sure at what price. I may be able to get them before they go up for auction. I had the wings reworked because there were a lot of loose nails. The top fabric was removed, all nails were removed and replaced with screws per Rainbow Flying Service STC. Also installed RFS inspection plates on top wing. The wings were recovered and painted top and bottom in Juneau White and Tennessee Red. Also have the flaps and ailerons, they have not been re-painted. Short of putting on the aluminum spars I don't think you could get a better set of wings.Wings.jpg

Last edited:

YBerdnikov

Thanks Mjk1951!
That 7gcbc is exactly the project I'm looking at.
If I'll be lucky enough to win that bid, I'll seriously consider taking your wings.