8KCAB 8KCAB Fuel Pump Options?

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone replace an electric fuel pump in an 8KCAB lately? The service manual specifies a Weldon 8110-C, I'm wondering if that's still the best choice or if there are other approved options?

Thanks in advance.
Bart

Last edited:

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Bob. Now that I've seen what they look like, I think there's one in a box somewhere with my project stuff. Would be nice to only have to pay for the overhaul.

Going to try to tackle the fuel system first on the 8KCAB project so trying to get components lined up.

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
I went looking for one in my project boxes and couldn't find it so I'll probably have to order a new one. If it's much more than $650 I might try to find a core on ebay and send it out for overhaul.

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
Spoke to Weldon customer service, they generally recommend overhaul every ten years (not a hard number but a guideline) though they will defer to airframe manufacturers if they want to establish their own guidelines. I asked if it's ok for the pump to sit unused on an airframe for a couple of years that is under construction and they said they pickle the pumps with Mobil spindle oil after test running them with fuel at the factory. They also said overhaul is best left to a qualified service provider.

There you go. :)

champ guy

Does anyone have a drawing or pictures of the fuel system hose routing on an AEIO-320 Decathlon with the Weldon pump and the new American Champion fuel valve and gascolator kit installed.
The parts book does not show it and I did not disassemble this project.
Thanks,
Jeff

champ guy

I have been trying to determine which pump is first in line. The mechanical or electric pump. If I had an airplane like it near me to look at, it would be easy.

Big Ed

N50247 - '79 Super D
I have been trying to determine which pump is first in line. The mechanical or electric pump. If I had an airplane like it near me to look at, it would be easy.
Aluminum tubing from gascolator to electric pump. Hoses from electric to mechanical pump, mech pump to servo, and servo to distribution thingy.

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
The hose from the electric pump to the mechanical pump acts like a vibration isolator. If that line were a hard line, airframe and engine vibrations would make sure that it didn't last very long.

Chuck Schweiss

I just finished hooking mine up last month...All the small hoses on the table are the fuel hoses....My mechanics have to travel to help me finish my project so its been a very slow process, but it is getting very close to firing it up for the first time...wiring and hanging the prop to go. The cowl is in the paint shop also.

Attachments

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
I just finished hooking mine up last month...All the small hoses on the table are the fuel hoses....My mechanics have to travel to help me finish my project so its been a very slow process, but it is getting very close to firing it up for the first time...wiring and hanging the prop to go. The cowl is in the paint shop also.
Thanks for the photos Chuck!

I just realized you messaged me months ago about having found an engine. I'll call you this week!