ADS-B, Anyone?

Bob Turner

The earlier Champ can legally be equipped for IFR. Same with Cubs. CAR4a certification.
One of the guys (a very knowledgable guy at that) insists you cannot do a pitot- static check on instruments where the static system is the port on the instrument. I think a careful reading of the regs would allow hooking the static tester up to the static port of the instrument, since the aircraft was certificated that way. Not sure - not actually doing it.

Some buddies with a Chief might try it for training purposes.

aftCG

The earlier Champ can legally be equipped for IFR. Same with Cubs. CAR4a certification.
One of the guys (a very knowledgable guy at that) insists you cannot do a pitot- static check on instruments where the static system is the port on the instrument. I think a careful reading of the regs would allow hooking the static tester up to the static port of the instrument, since the aircraft was certificated that way. Not sure - not actually doing it.

Some buddies with a Chief might try it for training purposes.
I thought the Citabria is on the same type certificate as the champ. No?
And huge relief, my early plane has a static thingy right next to the pitot tube.

(I'm not really considering attempting to get my plane IFR certified. There would be many mi$$ing piece$ $till).

aftCG

Just came home tonight with my Stratus ESGi, fully wired and with a new RS 232 connected altitude encoder.

I'm currently in the middle (gawd I hope closer to the end) of installing the Garmin 255XL NAV COM, King 208 CDI, and a twin to the Stratus ESGi mentioned above in the T-6. Again, fully wired clear out to the headset jacks. That aircraft takes priority as I want to get it across the mountains and hangared ASAP

I'm super fortunate that my longtime friend, and the guy I bought my Citabria from owns an avionics shop. I'm working under the supervision of his main tech. I wish I could be doing the same under my IA (where I would actually be more in my element), bit I guess I'll take the gifts where I can find them.

I'll post up a thread on the install (mit pics , ja?) when I get to the Citabria.

aftCG

RE: the tail beacon
I was on another forum which I can barely tolerate and someone brought up the slight difference in weight between the existing light and the ADS-B tail beacon.

It was in regards to mounting it on a Piper Cherokee, and how it would (legally require) include pulling the rudder off and rebalancing it.

Most people seem to disregard the seemingly trivial difference but even a paint stripe or vinyl graphics would require balancing.

Only later did it occur to me that the tail light on the Citabria is also mounted on a balanced surface.

If the light was on a fixed tail cone then no biggie. But I've experienced flutter on r/c models and seen first hand how destructive it is. It takes just an instant and POOF, a control surface is missing.

Since a Citabria or Decathlon is more likely to be pointed at the ground with rapidly increasing airspeed than most of the GA fleet, I don't think this is something to brush off.

Any thoughts from the gallery?

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
is the rudder technically "balanced" or just assisted by the tab at the top? i believe the paperwork said the weight change is "negligible" or something like that

aftCG

is the rudder technically "balanced" or just assisted by the tab at the top? i believe the paperwork said the weight change is "negligible" or something like that
Good question. On the Piper they were saying it is balanced.

Negligible for overall W&B, sure.

There is no such thing as negligible on a balanced surface. Otherwise my employer would not install rudders that are already painted.

Bob Turner

So far, nobody has made a big deal of this on Cubs, Cessnas, or Citabrias. Lots of them flying. Difficult to see anything to worry about - note the crazy variations of rotating beacons and strobes that have been flying on these rudders for a half century. Be careful what you wish for.

Joesf

How far does the ram mount put the face of the iPad from the tube? I am wondering if the shorter arm might work better?