Champ Alternative to Imperial 104HD Fuel Shutoff Valve - 7BCM

rmccomiskie

I'm finishing installation of fuel plumbing for my 2 x 13 gallon wing tanks in in my 1947 L-16A/7BCM. Unfortunately, I broke the fuel shutoff valve. The yellow tagged valve was very stiff to turn. I tried working it back and forth hoping to loosen it. Instead, the drilled shaft end fractured at the drill hole. I've sent it off for repair. Hopefully the shaft can be rebrazed and redrilled. If that doesn't work, what are my alternatives?

I've searched for Imperial 104HD valves online with no luck. Is there an STC somewhere to replace it with an alternative valve? I did find STCs for Pitts S2 and Aviat Husky that use an Apollo 76-101 valve. Is it worthwhile to consider a field approval of such a valve? I've attached a picture of the broken Imperial 104HD valve.shutoff valve2.jpg

Bob.

Slipinonfinal

Look up Burl's aircraft LLC in Alaska. On their web site are all the fuel shut off valves he produces. Pretty sure he has one that is approved on all 7 series aircraft. Very common issue.

Cheers, Brian

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
American Champion sells a new version of that valve but the mounting tab on the frame is different. There are usually a bunch for sale on ebay, have you looked there? Even if you find a damaged one, you can just grab the part you need to make yours good again.

also try texasairsalvage.com , they might have one

Slipinonfinal

RMCCOMISKIE,

The pic above shows a fixture I manufactured to deal with the issue you are having with the old fuel valve. I bought a new ACA fuel valve that required a 45 deg angled tab be welded on the vertical tube you see in the pic. Instead of using the welded on tab, I attached the fuel valve with the black colored manufactured fixture and two structural bolts and lock nuts. This was done to a 1965 7ECA. The fixture is available if you want it.

Brian

Bob Turner

What happened to the airplane you have salvaged the fixture from?

Or did you make a fixture to aid in making an adapter plate?

rmccomiskie

Slipinonfinal.

Thanks very much for the information. My installation is different from yours. See the attached picture. What paperwork was necessary to to accomplish your conversion? STC? Field approval? Or was it a minor alteration?

Bob.
2608.JPG

Slipinonfinal

Bob and Bob, The aircraft was crushed in a hanger snow load cave in 12 years ago and of course I was not insured. The engine, prop, cowling area had the least amount of damage and was salvaged. I spent the better part of 5 years in my spare time putting it together, so it was a tough deal. Assembling that aircraft from scratch however paid off as I gained valuable experience. Needless to say my present day citabria is insured.
I considered the fixture a minor alteration and log book entry only. Based on the pic you sent it looks like it would be even easier to build a adaptable fixture to support the new ACA fuel valve in your aircraft. Not sure of your technical resources there but I would over build the fixture a bit as in size and thickness of material and use the permissions of the FAR's under the owner produced parts heading since this is exactly the reason those provisions were made for older aircraft where the parts are just not available anymore.
Also not trying to tell you what to do, but I would put a cap on that primer outlet coming out of the fuel manifold. I have had all manner of insects crawl into those tiny holes and cause a ton of issues until you finally figure it out.

On a seperate note I consider this group forum as information going both ways and I have learned a ton of great info from many folks here that have helped me problem solve many issues, so just want to say thanks! This is a great aviation brain trust.

Cheers, Brian

Slipinonfinal

Almost forgot, no fixture plate was made to build the adapter plate it was a one off. In hind sight I probably should have but it came out fine.

rmccomiskie

Brian. Many, many thanks. I am familiar with the regs for owner produced parts. I'm leaning that way. In fact, if I can I'd like to use a more common commercial valve. For example, Apollo 76-101 (stainless) or 70-101 (brass). Your mounting bracket looks easy enough. The hardest part might be the actuator shaft universal to the valve shaft. Thanks again. Cheers. Bob.

LarryHL

Probably should start a new thread, but this does involve the fuel valve, so here goes...
Does anyone know what size o ring is used in the 7FC or EC fuel valve? Or...has anyone made and have available to sell the packing that is use in place of an o-ring? I probably have that backwards as I believe the packing is original and O-ring is substituted. I don't have a press available to make a packing. Thanks!
Larry

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
it's an o-ring, the only one in the valve