Anchoring the wing root fairings?

Bob Turner

My Decathlon has a pair of screws holding the upper fairing to a fuselage stringer at the very aft end of the fairing. The Citabria I have been working on came from the factory without screws, and the aft part of the fairing pair just sort of "swoops up." I will get a picture tomorrow, but wondering if we should drill and insert wood screws back there?

Bob Turner

Thanks. Looking at a fairing where it joins the fuelage turtleback aft of the trailing edge.

Big Ed

N50247 - '79 Super D
My upper wing root fairing is not fastened to the fuselage. It has a rubber weatherstrip on the inboard edge and is held down by pressure alone. The bottom fairing is fastened to an angle bracket on the fuselage. The bottom and top fairings are sandwiched together at the trailing edge with 2 machine screws and nuts.

Bob Turner

Mine has two wood screws per side, holding the top fairing down. The bottom nestles into the rear folded edge of the top strip.

Big Ed

N50247 - '79 Super D
Mine doesn't lay flat, so I have considered adding some kind of fastener. I would be worried about adding a leak point for rain to enter.

Bob Turner

Good point. Rain comes inside mine when I am flying. Maybe it is my nose duct.

Big Ed

N50247 - '79 Super D
Good point. Rain comes inside mine when I am flying. Maybe it is my nose duct.
I was flying in the rain last week and my legs were getting all wet. Couldn't figure out why. Then I realized my cold air vents were open.