Another new member, old pilot.

Jon Anderson

I always wanted to fly. As a child I used to dream that I would run across my back yard, open my arms and Fly! That dream came true in the early eighties when I purchased my first bird, a Teratorn TA ultralight with a 28hp Rotax. After a couple of years flying ultralights I yearned to go somewhere far away and share the thrill of flight. While going through my flight training, I and 9 other enthusiasts out at our local airport (Gateway in Ramsey MN) purchased a 1976 Skyhawk and started Gateway Flying Club in 1984. Over the next 23 years I participated in 2 different flying clubs and owned several Skyhawks and a PA-12 for a 5 year period. I was always in a club or partnership and enjoyed the friendships as well as deferring some of the costs of flying. In 2006 I had a problem renewing my 3rd class medical because of some heart arrhythmia's, and sold my half of the Superhawk on Baumann floats that I had enjoyed for several years. After 6 months of letter writing and Dr visits, they finally issued my last medical for 1 year. After that they wanted me to start the medical testing process over again, wait 6 months to be able to fly 6 months and start it all over again. I let my medical expire and quit flying for 15 years, but never quit looking skyward every time a plane or jet flew over. Like some chronic diseases, the flying bug is something you never get over! I have known for several years that I'm eligible for Sport Pilot privilege's and at age 65 my wife finally asked what I was waiting for and she's right, I'm not getting any younger LOL! Recently I started attending the local EAA meetings at my local airport looking for a club or partnership in a Light Sport aircraft. I just found a small group of pilots that own a Champ 7AC and were looking to add a couple of more members. I meet the group on Monday evening and hopefully will be flying again soon. I hope to learn all about Champs by joining this forum. If you've read this far, thanks for joining me on my flying journey and welcoming me into this group!

Lion8

Hi Jon. I'm in the same boat... or airplane situation I should say. I also started out in Ultralights then to a LSA Kitfox.
Just about to solo for my private in a 172 and put it on hold to get my own plane. I found a Champ in Florida and a friend
said yes to helping me fly it back to N.J. Little did he know it would be such an adventure. Anyway, It is a 7AC Champ
with an 85 on the front. Your not so old to get started. I turned 72 in April and it is just another stepping stone.
I still hold a 3rd class medical. Considering Basic Med but not sure about going that route. Anyway, I think you
did the right thing by joining a group with the Champ. EAA is a great resource as well. Good luck and keep connected.-Lion8

Bob Turner

Tell us why you are not sure about BasicMed?
I can easily hold a third class, but BasicMed is way better for me. The only dicey part is ferrying someone else’s airplane, and insurance is more of a hangup there than any question about a commercial operation. I just get the insurer to state that I am additional insured for a flight from A to B.

Jon Anderson

I was told that because I haven't flown for 15 years that I'm not eligible for Basic Med. That was from the president of our local EAA chapter so I assumed that he knows what he's talking about. My last 3rd class medical expired in 2007.

Bob Turner

Well, that's a good reason.
Why not fly the Champ under Sport Pilot rules? All you need for that is a drivers license.