AVARE GPS moving map app

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
About a year and a half ago when I got my Citabria I had to plan the flight home. I had been looking all over the country for an airplane and figured the flight home would be a good way to kick off the adventure of getting back into GA ownership. Having been out of it for a few years I started with an order of charts and AFD's from Sporty's! To the tune of about $60! Little did I know how far along smart phones and tablets had come, I was completely ignorant.

It occurred to me there was probably an app for flight planning so a quick search and I was introduced to AVARE, a GPS based moving map and flight planning app. I had heard about Foreflight and was a little familiar with it but I couldn't see myself needing that much sophistication and couldn't see where I'd fit a small tablet in a Citabria. AVARE on my Android based cell phone worked perfectly and has been a reliable nav aid ever since that first flight home from Boston.

They have since added ADS-B compatibility and the ability to link to an external GPS receiver. You can download/update the charts you'll need for free and the app scrolls through the route across multiple charts seamlessly. In the smaller confines of a two place tandem taildragger, this is a lot of capability that displays very well on a small screen.

Intro Part 1

Intro Part 2

JimParker256

1965 Champion 7ECA (O-200)
Yeah, they have come a LONG way from their initial offering. There are so many good choices for EFBs these days! And ANY of them are light-years ahead of what we had back when I first started flying... It's a pretty cool time to be a pilot!

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
Was over at the hangar today and snapped a photo of my simple cell phone holder. It's a spring clamp with a modified auto cell phone holder, it clamps onto the tube that crossed the cockpit just behind that lower edge of the panel. I have a piece of heat shrink tubing under the clamp to keep it from scratching the panel.

cell phone mount.jpg