Baggage Door Options

Norm

I have a 1968 7eca undergoing a major rebuild after an incident. My seats are non folding and I despise the idea of climbing over them to get into the baggage area. The folks at ACA are quite friendly and their baggage door is STC'd but costly. The only other option I am aware of is Rainbow Aviation, is their bagagge door an STC or experimental? If anyone forum members have installed a baggage door previously I'd be very open to hearing your thoughts. Thanks

Bob Turner

Could you make the case for it being a minor alteration? Hard to believe the factory STC’d the door, when all they had to do is add it to the type certificate. Makes paperwork easier on new airplanes.

Norm

Could you make the case for it being a minor alteration? Hard to believe the factory STC’d the door, when all they had to do is add it to the type certificate. Makes paperwork easier on new airplanes.
Perhaps that is what they did, I only talked to them briefly about the kit. They mentioned it came with all the drawings and frame which gets welded to the fuselage.

Bob Turner

For reference, the FAA definition:

Major alteration means an alteration not listed in the aircraft, aircraft engine, or propeller specifications -

(1) That might appreciably affect weight, balance, structural strength, performance, powerplant operation, flight characteristics, or other qualities affecting airworthiness; or

(2) That is not done according to accepted practices or cannot be done by elementary operations.

Major repair means a repair:

(1) That, if improperly done, might appreciably affect weight, balance, structural strength, performance, powerplant operation, flight characteristics, or other qualities affecting airworthiness; or

(2) That is not done according to accepted practices or cannot be done by elementary operations.

Goodyear

I installed Rainbow’s kit. Todd at Aeromechanix spent some time getting it to fit perfect. Very happy with the result and no welding. Add the extended baggage if available for your model. Before and after paint. Bob, that is the Cub. Cavanaugh Bay.DA19F985-9DDB-464F-B927-D70D566210C6.jpeg2794E541-9880-4B94-B8A6-39DA2A1F42E4.jpeg2794E541-9880-4B94-B8A6-39DA2A1F42E4.jpegDA19F985-9DDB-464F-B927-D70D566210C6.jpeg

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
When my 8KCAB frame was rehabbed at the factory they added the baggage door frame but the frame cross member goes right across the inside of the opening which prevents you from putting anything substantial in through the door anyway. I'm planning to fabric over the opening, the next owner can always open it up if they want to. :(

Norm

I like the simplicity of Rainbows design and from what I can gather people are happy with the fit and finish. I'm not so sure it can be used in Canada however. I know one thing for certain, without a baggage door for my tent and sleeping bag to go in and out of, I will end up resenting the idea of taking it camping.

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
By all means, if that's what you think you need then go for it. I swapped my fixed rear seat for a folding one and accessing the baggage area is much easier. Maybe ask around and find a plane with a folding seat to see if it's good enough for you? @Big Ed do you have a folding rear seat?

Big Ed

N50247 - '79 Super D
Yes, I have a folding rear seat back. Have never seen a fixed one.

As told elsewhere on this forum, that seat back nearly killed me once. Make sure the restraining wires are in place.

Goodyear

The baggage door is a big plus. It is severely limited in terms of boxy objects. I have a small cooler that fits, a plastic waterproof box, but mostly use backpacks.

Big Ed

N50247 - '79 Super D
Bumpity.

Looking at same decision. Frame is about to get refurbed, so now is the time to do any welding.

ACA (Jerry Jr) recommends it. I guess they see a lot of them coming in for the mod later, when it is harder.

I am leaning away from it. Cost, time, weight, and limited access because of the frame member in the way are all cons. Resale and battery access are pros. If I had a Scout or other backcountry focused aircraft, it would be a no brainer. But IMO not necessary for the primary Decathlon mission.

Thoughts?

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
i don't really see how it helps battery access given it's kind of a cramped cluster-f back there and the battery is in a tall metal box. i don't know, maybe?

Goodyear

Bumpity.

Looking at same decision. Frame is about to get refurbed, so now is the time to do any welding.

ACA (Jerry Jr) recommends it. I guess they see a lot of them coming in for the mod later, when it is harder.

I am leaning away from it. Cost, time, weight, and limited access because of the frame member in the way are all cons. Resale and battery access are pros. If I had a Scout or other backcountry focused aircraft, it would be a no brainer. But IMO not necessary for the primary Decathlon mission.

Thoughts?
What side of the plane is the battery located, mine was on the left facing forward and the baggage door does not really help with that. Can a Decathlon move the battery to the fire wall? If so, that is a huge weight savings (cable and smaller battery) and makes servicing the battery simple.

Bob Turner

They may have moved it aft to make room for the inverted components and to offset the extra weight of same. But worth a look.

Big Ed

N50247 - '79 Super D
What side of the plane is the battery located, mine was on the left facing forward and the baggage door does not really help with that. Can a Decathlon move the battery to the fire wall? If so, that is a huge weight savings (cable and smaller battery) and makes servicing the battery simple.
Battery is on the center line. Cannot be moved forward on Super D due to inverted oil system on firewall and W&B, according to ACA.

Goodyear

Can they put a door in the back panel of the baggage compartment like we use on the extended baggage option? But without the extended baggage compartment. Then you could at least reach the battery through the baggage door and not have to climb in to remove the screws holding the panel. Caveat-I have a Scout so your experience may be different.

Big Ed

N50247 - '79 Super D
Can they put a door in the back panel of the baggage compartment like we use on the extended baggage option? But without the extended baggage compartment. Then you could at least reach the battery through the baggage door and not have to climb in to remove the screws holding the panel. Caveat-I have a Scout so your experience may be different.
I think that's what it is now.

Big Ed

N50247 - '79 Super D
I spoke to Chad today. He said the baggage doors are very popular and a lot of people have them added later. He said the kit is $800. I can see pros and cons on both sides. At the end of the day, time will probably be the deciding factor for me.

Goodyear

I use a cargo web behind the passenger seat. Nice to be able to put items in the baggage without climbing in over the seat and disconnecting stuff.