Brake cylinder

B737jenkins

Our 7ECA right brake is a little soft, compared to the left. There’s no leakage evident and the MX guy will take a look this week, but for my own info, where are the brake cylinders?

Thanks

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
Two bolts at the bottom then a handful of screws across the seam and front/back edges of the panel. Take out just enough so the two flaps will hang straight down out of the way.

Bob Turner

Assuming heel brakes.

Just carefully take the caps off - they are peeking up through the floorboards near the front pedals. You are sure to drop one - so put rags in the obvious holes close by.

Then just put a few drops of brake fluid in there. The brakes are self-bleeding; you should get a stiff pedal after a few pumps.

Bill Vickland

I am replacing the seals in my two brake cylinders (heel brakes) and I cannot remove the small lever on the back of the brake cylinder that sets the parking brake. Has anyone done this. What is the trick to remove it. It has to come out because there are two seals on the bolt that the lever is attached to.
Any help would be much appreciated
Bill Vickland.

aftCG

I am replacing the seals in my two brake cylinders (heel brakes) and I cannot remove the small lever on the back of the brake cylinder that sets the parking brake. Has anyone done this. What is the trick to remove it. It has to come out because there are two seals on the bolt that the lever is attached to.
Any help would be much appreciated
Bill Vickland.
I didn't know you could get a parking brake with heel brakes.
I have a complete set of heel brakes on my hangar wall. I'll take a look at them and see what I can figure out.

Bob Turner

I would love to convert back. I have toe brakes - a maintenance nightmare. I have converted a mechanical brake Champ to heel hydraulics - it was trivial, and they work grrreat!

Usually the heel brake park valve is in the line out of the cylinder, as opposed to the Chinese finger trap deal on the piston rod. I wouldn't give a fig for either setup, having seen way too many failures involving inadvertent actuation, including one completely totalled aircraft. We broke a Scott tail wheel on an old Stinson with inadvertent actuation, and Scott was so embarrassed that their casting failed they sent us a brand new assembly, free! Try that today!

aftCG

I would love to convert back. I have toe brakes - a maintenance nightmare. I have converted a mechanical brake Champ to heel hydraulics - it was trivial, and they work grrreat!

Usually the heel brake park valve is in the line out of the cylinder, as opposed to the Chinese finger trap deal on the piston rod. I wouldn't give a fig for either setup, having seen way too many failures involving inadvertent actuation, including one completely totalled aircraft. We broke a Scott tail wheel on an old Stinson with inadvertent actuation, and Scott was so embarrassed that their casting failed they sent us a brand new assembly, free! Try that today!
I'm sure I've said it on here before, but the only thing I trust less than an airplane parking brake is an airplane fuel gauge