Citabria Brake hose snapped

kubark42

After a cold night, the brake hose from the reservoir to the brake pedal cylinder snapped clean in two. On my 1998 7ECA, they're just transparent plastic tubes, and they're very, very hard. I was thinking tygon tubing might be a good replacement for both.

20211124_120544.jpg

Thoughts?

kubark42

Don't worry. 5606 fluid won't harm your paint.
I believe the supply lines to the master cylinders is simple Nylon tubing normally used for instrument (airspeed, etc.) hookup.
Chris
That's a relief. Maybe I will be able to source the hosing locally, then, so I can get back home after the holiday weekend.

Bob Turner

I would give you some, but shipping has become prohibitive. Take a piece to the model airplane store and get some matching tubing. 5606 seems to harden plastic tubes, but I use it on my filler can, and it lasts for years.

kubark42

A&P said to use tubing from autoparts store, so they set me up with some yellow fuel hose. Seemed to be a like-for-like replacement of what was there before. Not as soft as the Tygon I used in the past, so maybe when I get back home I'll replace both tubes with proper Tygon so this doens't happen again. https://www.mcmaster.com/6519T12/

Popped the lid on the reservoir, used a syringe to fill it up, still spilled when I overflowed it, and after some pumping to self-bleed the cylinder (is it really true they self bleed?) we're back in service.

Last edited: