Ceconite rejuvenation

Tangogawd

I think I would try taking a razor blade and shaving off those peaks, then build it back up. I think it would look better then leaving the peaks.

Bob Turner

I think you used 1” reinforcing tape. It goes under 2” Ceconite/ Stitts tape. Reinforcing tape doesn’t shrink.

Rather than cut or remove, I would just glue 2” tape over the top of it.

I have seen very few successful straight-edge tape jobs. My Decathlon has them, but it was done by a fabric guy better than me. I am teaching in a show quality Waco - show, all except for many lifting straight tapes.

Big Ed

N50247 - '79 Super D
Nope, I used linear straight ceconite tape.

Reinforcing tape is a separate product.

Bob Turner

You are apparently right. They no longer sell 1" reinforcing tape.

My wings were done with 1" reinforcing tape, then riveted and covered with 2" straight surface tape. Looks great, so far, at the 30-year mark. I have not seen many done that way.

Are you sure they didn't send you leftover pre-shrunk tape?

Big Ed

N50247 - '79 Super D
Had to shut it down for a few days due to weather. 90% humidity for last 5 days, blushing guaranteed. Cold front pushed through today, probably the last one of the spring before Florida becomes Florida, so I have today and tomorrow to get this thing done. Tonight I touched up with silver until no visible light. Tomorrow I shoot 2 coats of yellow. Blue stripes on Friday.

Stupid stencil still has not arrived. Shipping info says it was shipped from the factory to the Aircraft Spruce facility in California instead of directly to me. Dealing with some serious incompetence here.

Pictures of plane tomorrow, hopefully.

Big Ed

N50247 - '79 Super D
Thanks! I'm pretty pleased with myself. The tapework is pretty ugly, and I got some orange peeling, so it's still not a show plane. But the colors in the fresh dope really pop, so the plane looks great until you get arms length away. It went from being a 30 footer to a 10 footer.

Big Ed

N50247 - '79 Super D
Stencil finally came yesterday. 2 days after I needed it. Now gotta wait for another quart of white to arrive on Tuesday to spray the numbers on.

That's ok. Taking a lot longer to put back together than I expected. Got at least 2 more days of work before I fly.

I am taking my time as I go, fixing about 15 years of neglect and replacing most fasteners.

Put in the rear windows today. I was worried about that, but it wasn't too difficult. Wrangling the rubber channel was tricky.

Big Ed

N50247 - '79 Super D
A few weeks ago I was crowing about how easy it was to take off the boot cowl. Following the iron law of pride going before the fall, putting it back on was way harder. Had a terrible time getting the upper rear corners to mate properly with the lower corners of the windshield. Now there is a gap between the windshield fairing and the windshield. Don't see how that is gonna be waterproof. Ugh.

OTOH, closing in on a flyable airplane. Stuff remaining to reinstall: belly pan, upper/lower cowl, wing root fairings, and seats. Bleed brakes. Hang stencil and paint N-number.

Bruce

One piece at a time, I painted numbers yesterday hope to add a stripe today but my to do list is much longer than yours. Keep plugging away. This helps you understand why it cost so much to recover these planes, it’s all so time consuming.

Bruce

Here’s a suggestion for the stencils, I placed mine by taping it as one peace to make it look good then ran tape along lower edge as a hinge point, then made a cut line between numbers and cut then taped back in place so I only had to remove one at a time after painting. Also I took an edge and folded it back so I had an easy start point for pulling them off. On the center like in the zero if you can leave a air bubble near an edge then I used a pick in the bubble to start pulling it off. Best of luck