Checklist Suggestions

Bob Turner

This is not for everybody. Some pilots need a checklist to remind them to turn the master and mags on, and a subset of that group needs a checklist item that says "Starter - ENGAGE"

But my philosophy is - simpler means less confusion and more likelihood that things are actually checked.

This checklist, or Cub variants, has been accepted multiple times by DPEs as meeting requirements for a checkride. Remember, you have to carry it with you when you walk around. And put a finger on it and say "checklist complete."

And remember - this is just my opinion. Your checklist may be way better for you - but consider: you cannot fly without turning mags and master on, and if you would forget those things without a checklist, you, and your fellow aviators would be a lot safer if you gave up that particular flight. You will not even get started.

So - here: your version is happily solicited!

CHECKLIST

PREFLIGHT
Fluids – CHECKED
Airframe - CHECKED
Paperwork – ON BOARD

BEFORE START
Beacon (if installed) – ON
Passenger Briefing - DONE

AFTER START
Oil Pressure – NORMAL

TAKEOFF
Controls – FREE
Instruments – CHECKED
Gasoline – CHECKED/CAPS ON/Boost Pump as required
Altimeter – SET
Runup – COMPLETE

Trim – SET
Instruments – DOUBLE CHECKED
Prop - FULL INCREASE
Seat Belts – ON
Takeoff Check Complete

CLIMB CHECKLIST
Power - REDUCE
Boost Pump - OFF
Climb Check Complete

LANDING
Fuel - CHECKED
Boost Pump AS REQUIRED
Prop - FULL INCREASE
Seat Belts – ON
Landing Check Complete

"Runway items - memory - transponder/strobes/mixture."

ANCILLARY CHECKLISTS

AFTER LANDING
Boost Pump - OFF

SHUTDOWN
Mags – OFF
Master – OFF

EMERGENCY CHECKLISTS - these should be RED

ENGINE FAILURE
Fuel – ON
Mags – ON
Carb Heat / alternate air– APPLY
Restart – ATTEMPT

ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS
Smoke or other evidence of serious problem:
Master – OFF

FIRE –
Everything (fuel and electrical) OFF
Get on the GROUND
Evacuate

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
You're not going to like this but here it is. It can be two-side printed and folded in half so it's easy to handle.

I'm a big believer in checklists being good for protecting us from ourselves. On my worst day if I rely on the checklist then I'll probably be OK (I can be very absent minded) although I don't use it as religiously as I've used checklists in the past and certainly not even close to our habits at work.

Landed with the mixture still set for cruise yesterday, I admit it. :(

Bob Turner

No - I like it as a contrast.

The Cirrus has checklists like that. I know how to shoot a Cirrus approach if somebody else sets the electronics up. What stuns me is they are too busy setting up to actually run a long checklist. The before landing checklist is usually forgotten.

But boy, can they eat up time between the hangars with that complex after start checklist!

Yours is not as long as some. I watched an American 767 crew execute a series of checklists - I swear they checked each others' tie clips. I was retired by the time we merged, so do not know if our "shorter is better" philosophy was adopted.

aftCG

My preflight is a flow, starting on the right side of the cowl where I check the oil and give everything a good look over. I started to go into detail about what it is that I look at but it would read like one of those ridiculous long lists (I'll post it if people want to read it). At the very minimum, if I had coffee and might have taken my eye off the plane for two seconds I check oil level, run my hands on the prop, check the gas caps and take a slow suspicious stroll around the entire plane. I do the same if I had a student do the preflight.

Before Engine start:
Door closed and latched
Passenger BRIEFED
Fuel selector ON (I've tested my plane with it off, and it will taxi about 75' - not quite to the gas pumps from my hangar)
Switches OFF
Circuit breakers (all 4) IN
Brakes SET

Engine Start:
Mixture, Master, Mags ON
Starter Engage (I use three pumps of the throttle and then to idle, as I learned here when my primer was INOP. I still use it because it's much smoother than using the primer)
Oil Pressure MONITOR
Mixture IDLE FOR TAXI
Alternator Field ON (eyes on the volts and amps to see them jump)
T/B ON
Strobes ON
Avionics Master ON

Before Takeoff
Flight Controls FREE & CORRECT
Run up COMPLETE (mixture, mags, carb heat, idle check then back to 1000rpm)
Trim ON THE DOT (dual, on the V in Elevator if solo)
Not on the list, but I also do a last minute "killer items" check prior to crossing the hold short: Trim, mixture, carb heat, primer in and locked (I have also tested my plane's primer and it runs like CRAP if it's not secure). My list would include flaps, cowl flaps, fuel selector/pump and prop if applicable

Climb is "cowl bump on the horizon", and I double check that I'm getting 80mph and 1000 fpm-ish. If I think to look at my attitude it should also indicate about 9 degrees but I usually don't bother. Anything out of line should be explainable by loading condition and/or density altitude. If not then I should be figuring out why.

I use 80 for climb, I use 80 for the pattern until I'm on final and I use 80 as minimum maneuvering speed. Approach is 65 unless dead calm when I might use 60.
I use carb heat below the green arc (2000rpm). It's not on my checklist but it's a habit.
Trim as required
I don't have a prelanding checklist. I used to joke that I was "Carb Heat ON" but as stated, it's not really on my list. No sense in checking fuel because if I'm already landing there isn't anything I can do about it.

When providing dual instruction and we do a stop and go or taxi back, I quiz them every time "Carb heat?" (response), "Trim on the dot?" (response).
And for the curious, carb heat won't kill you (or present a hazard of any kind) on a 5000' paved runway, but on a 1800' strip with actual 120' trees that missing 50 rpm sure can.