CHT - do I need one?

Big Ed

N50247 - '79 Super D
Found it a bit surprising that I do not have a CHT. I do have an EGT.

When the aircraft was built, all the 2" gauge holes were filled with mandatory instruments, so there was only room for one optional instrument. I guess EGT won out. However, 2 years later the first owner moved the Tach to the center stack and replaced the 2" Manifold Pressure with a 3" MP, so now there is a free 2" hole.

I was considering installing a digital tach in the open 2" hole. Should I be looking at a CHT instead?

Some planes list the CHT as required equipment, but it is not so on the Decathlon. Any idea why?

Bob Turner

Bought my Dec in 2003. It has a CHT. I have this feeling that it has never worked. Engine is still running.

I used to worry about oil temp - on a hot day it would go to red line in a climb. Baffles need to be up and forward.

I would not say that the AEIO 360 is bulletproof, but with fine wires in the bottom I am beginning to think it is a pretty darn good engine. One quit the other day on takeoff, but so far it sounds like fuel starvation.

Bob Turner

By the way, have you considered a larger panel? You have seen mine, right?

Big Ed

N50247 - '79 Super D
Found the answer to my question. Cowl flaps. If you got 'em, the FAA sez a CHT is required equipment. Which makes sense. If no cowl flaps, like a Decathlon, CHT is optional.