Citabria 7ECA Rudder Trim Tabs

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
Just wondering of you 7ECA flyers out there, do you have a rudder trim tab installed? I don't but was wondering if it's needed, mine kinda feels like it could help.

Thanks
Bart

JimParker256

1965 Champion 7ECA (O-200)
My '65 7ECA has one, and it greatly reduces the need for holding right rudder in flight and during the takeoff/climb portions of flight. It's roughly a 5-inch rounded (oval) shape that extends about 1" past the trailing edge of the rudder at the middle of the tab, but is rounded so that the top and bottom edges of the oval are basically even with the trailing edge. No clue if that is "stock" or was added later on. (Though there is no log entry for an addition, so I suspect was installed at the Champion factory.

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Jim! I have a factory tab from another project but wasn't sure if it was necessary to have on a 115hp 7ECA. I'll ask the local shop about popping it into place sometime soon.

Appreciate the reply :)

JimParker256

1965 Champion 7ECA (O-200)
Keep in mind that my plane has the almighty 100 HP O-200, so your puny O-235 might not need it as badly... (eye-roll) But in all seriousness it does help a lot. Amazing how even a little engine generates enough torque / p-factor to wear out a grown man's right leg...

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
that's what i was wondering about, how much it's needed for our smaller engines. i was thinking I'm jut not yaw-aware enough since the plane sat for two years and I didn't do much GA flying but if you guys say it helps then I'll put one on and see.

thanks, big help, appreciate it