Citabria Dimension

Lancearia

I have noticed the leaf gear main gear Is no longer same angle on both sides.
Need to re bend and heat treat
Any one have the correct angles at the top U bolt and bottom bend where axle attaches .
Any assistance or diagram greatly appreciated.

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure but ACA sells many of the factory drawings, usually about $30 each.

Call Chad in the parts department at American Champion Aircraft, 800-223-9381, he'll be able to tell you what's available.

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
just to add, someone would have to have a gear leg off of their plane in order to get the exact dimensions and angles. i could measure mine but with the weight of the plane on it it would be way off what it needs to be for realignment.

It would be nice if there was a reserve supply of gear legs somewhere that were bent and nicely painted so we could just buy freshly refurbished ones and send ours back as a core.

Lancearia

Hi Thanks for info I spoke to Chad last week one of the drawings they dont make available to the general public.
Great Idea on the Core exchange .
Possibly some one has legs not yet fitted and can give me the Correct radius so when I remove mine I have the unloaded spec.

Bob Turner

I have a set of steel gear legs. Ron Piercy cold-straightens them, so if you really want an exchange program, make a deal with him. I will donate the legs, but not the shipping.

Alternatively, I suspect it doesn't take him long to straighten yours. Same cost, probably.

Me too - I always thought that spring steel had to be re-heat treated. I do know that I like the aluminum gear legs a lot, and they do get heat treated after bending operations. But steel springs just get re-bent. Ron is "Rainbow" and we ought to get a link here for him and his operation. His advice to me has always been good.

Good to hear drawing prices at ACA are down to a reasonable amount. When I checked they were $125 each.

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe prices are different for different drawings, I've bought a few and they were all reasonably priced.

I emailed Ron about replacement gear legs for my 7ECA. I want to sand and paint them with the fuselage but I'm afraid they'll look junky. Was considering buying a good used set, refurbishing them and then letting the local shop install them when the paint is done.

How heavy are they Bob?

Bob Turner

At least 14 lbs,'cause that's what I saved by installing the spring aluminum gear. Come to San Diego for a ride, put them in your trunk?

Lancearia

Hi Bob much appreciate the offer I am in The back end or should I say bottom end of Africa so would have to get a colleague of mine to possibly arrange that.he Is in Sandiego can I ask you to possibly measure them at the top and bottom so when mine come out this week I can compare the angles of yours and mine.

Bob Turner

Mine are obviously well used. You want to compare what you have with factory drawings. My offer was to Bart, since he spends time and $ to develop this much-needed forum. But my offer to put them in the Rainbow inventory stands, if that is perceived as a good thing for the community. The advantage - Ron sends you straight legs; you return your sagging ones. Down time two days.

Lancearia

Sorry Bob Misread the previous post My apologies.
Unfortunately the factory Drawings are not available to the general Public.

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the offer Bob. I'll call Ron today and introduce myself. Maybe he already does an exchange service, maybe it'll be a new idea and he'll like it.

I was trying to avoid advertising because I'll have to fire up my little LLC again to handle what little revenue it would generate. Maybe for Ron I'll just hang a banner and we'll call it our support for our community of airplanes.