Citabria Fuel Gauge/Float Replacement?

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
I heard there is a guy out there that will replace the cork float on a Citabria fuel gauge with a plastic one. Does anyone have any information for the person that does this?

Thanks!

MA Cantin

Hi @Bartman!
We did clean the unit, changed the cork float to a plastic one and got a gasket. All from Spruce Canada (if I remeber correctly). We got a local glass shop to cut a new one. We had to get a few different thicknesses before we got it to fit right. Haven’t got a chance to put fuel in it yet though so not sure if it’s good! Lol! It wasn’t that big of a job.

Best of luck!

M-A

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
Hi @Bartman!
We did clean the unit, changed the cork float to a plastic one and got a gasket. All from Spruce Canada (if I remeber correctly). We got a local glass shop to cut a new one. We had to get a few different thicknesses before we got it to fit right. Haven’t got a chance to put fuel in it yet though so not sure if it’s good! Lol! It wasn’t that big of a job.

Best of luck!

M-A
Any chance you could look up the part number for the plastic float or post a pic please? Thanks :)

MA Cantin

Hope this helps!
Remember our story about the baffles inside the tank? While your at it, you may want to give them a good look over.

M-A

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks M-A! Did you have to remove the little crimp on the wire of the guage to get the old float off and to get the new one on? What did you replace that crimp with?
Bart :)

MA Cantin

@Bartman
It’s been over a year but if I remember correctly, I just cut the old crimp and took the old one off, slipped the new one on and re-crimped it in the vice.