Cleaning Plastic Windows

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
Good Morning!

What's the proper way to clean our plastic windows? Mine are particularly dirty from the sanding and other prep going on to paint the fuselage so before I can mask them off they've got to be cleaned.

So maybe some water and carwash soap but after that what's the best way to get them perfect without scratching them?

Thanks,
Bart

Bob Turner

Manufacturer told us at an IA seminar - only plain water and your bare palm. I think he was Cee Bailey. He was adamant.

Clifford Daly

I use any basic window cleaner and a microfiber rag. Water is good for the airplane but leaves streaks on the glass.

No offense to the cee baileys guy but it would be like hearing a baker say you should only buy fresh baked stuff.... if you asked a detailing company that pushed a product they’d say water is horrible and to only use their cleaner!

I’m sure most already know, no circling motions. Just straight lines to prevent swirls.

Bob Turner

Well, me too. My windshields seem to last more than 30 years - longer, apparently, when in a hangar. I use water, or Lemon Pledge, or just fly with it dirty. I am more worried about who is coming from behind anyway.

My Super D has its original windshield - from 1977!