Cleaning Plastic Windows

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
Good Morning!

What's the proper way to clean our plastic windows? Mine are particularly dirty from the sanding and other prep going on to paint the fuselage so before I can mask them off they've got to be cleaned.

So maybe some water and carwash soap but after that what's the best way to get them perfect without scratching them?

Thanks,
Bart

Bob Turner

Manufacturer told us at an IA seminar - only plain water and your bare palm. I think he was Cee Bailey. He was adamant.

Clifford Daly

I use any basic window cleaner and a microfiber rag. Water is good for the airplane but leaves streaks on the glass.

No offense to the cee baileys guy but it would be like hearing a baker say you should only buy fresh baked stuff.... if you asked a detailing company that pushed a product they’d say water is horrible and to only use their cleaner!

I’m sure most already know, no circling motions. Just straight lines to prevent swirls.

Bob Turner

Well, me too. My windshields seem to last more than 30 years - longer, apparently, when in a hangar. I use water, or Lemon Pledge, or just fly with it dirty. I am more worried about who is coming from behind anyway.

My Super D has its original windshield - from 1977!

BB57

A few thoughts:

- Lemon Pledge has been a standard for decades, but I have not used it since I stopped being able to find it in the brown can. There are now a lot of "lemon pledge" products. DO NOT use the pledge multi surface cleaner as it contains alcohol. It's also worth remembering that Johnson and Johnson does not make it as or market it as a plexiglas cleaner, so they are under no obligation not to change to a formulation that contains alcohol or ammonia. Finally, all pledge products contain silicone and if it gets on the rest of the plane, removing it is a real bear if you ever need to touch up the paint.

- Prist is designed for plexiglas and it works fine.

- Plexus is also made for plexiglas and it also works great (less prone to leaving a haze than Prist IMHO), but it's expensive.

- Plex-All has pilots who like it, but I've never used it personally. It's about half the cost of Plexus.

- ClearView works well and it's the plexiglas cleaner I've been using lately. They also make a polish/protectant that helps remove and fill any scratches.

- Never use a cleaner that contains alcohol or ammonia.

- Water and some time to let it work, works great for softening and removing bugs. I use water and a wet microfiber cloth to get things started, let it sit 10-20 minutes then finish up with a cleaner and a dry, clean micro fiber cloth.

- Whatever you use, wipe back and forth, not in circles. Wiping in circles will eventually create a halo effect on plexiglas.

- Microfiber cloths are an improvement, but be sure it's clean. Don't use a microfiber cloth with polyester stitching, as it can scratch, and remove the tag as it can scratch plexiglas as well. Old school cotton diapers still work great if you can find them.

Bob Turner

Uh-oh. Old Pledge did not have silicones. Cheap substitutes did, and would truly mess up any attempt to repaint. I am officially dismayed.

Goodyear

Water first. Wipe the water and dirt off with your hand before you clean it with any plexiglas cleaner. If you have scratches try polishing with mcguiar’s #6. CLEAN cloths.