Cleveland wheels - Champ versus Citabria?

BB57

I picked up a pair of wheels from an aircraft salvage yard in Bunn NC the other day. He wasn't sure if they were off a champ or a Citabria, but they looked correct. I took them home removed the paint inspected them and discovered one was made in 1957 (definitely not a Citabria) and the other was made in 1965. I primed and painted them with the idea of mounting new 800x6 tires on them. Then refurbing my old wheels, and *maybe* putting a set of 8.50x6 tires on them, along with new brake discs so that I could swap tires quickly.

That was the plan. It ground to a screeching halt when I discovered by old brake discs would not fit inside the recently acquired wheels. The internal diameter of the recess on the brake half of the wheel is a slightly smaller diameter.

My question then is what is the part number for the brake disc for these Cleveland wheels that were apparently on a Champ (and probably two different Champs)?

Thanks in advance.

Bob Turner

I know very little about Champ wheels. There is a variety, associated with mechanical brakes, that is subject to a recurring AD. I took them off a 90 hp Champ, and replaced the entire system with Grove (see the Aeronca forum for details). Wners tell me it has been bulletproof for the last four years.

Let me suggest checking the Grove site for wheels - an entire set of wheel/brake caliper is cheaper than a used but good wheel with drum. Don't know about used Clevelands - watch out for corrosion and missing snap ring ridges. New Clevelands are now priced out of the market.