Cockpit management

Big Ed

N50247 - '79 Super D
Took my first XC trip in my new Super D today. 475 NM up the Atlantic coast from Florida to NC.

Aircraft flies great, very stable. However, I found the lack of space to be challenging. In a normal spam can you've got space on the floor between the seats to put your flight bag. You also can either put your stuff on the empty seat or ask your co-pilot to hold it for you.

Other than in the door compartment, there aren't a lot of places to put stuff in the Citabria and Decathlon. I realized pretty quick you have to be organized before you go, because you aren't going to be able to fish something out if you left it in a bag. The door compartment doesn't have much space for stuff like water, snacks, etc.

So right off the bat I realize I need a decent tablet with a ram mount to hold it in the right spot. Juggling a tablet on my knee or propping a phone on the panel isn't going to work.

What other good tips do you veteran pilots have for managing your stuff in this aircraft type?

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
Ed,

I'm a less-is-more kind of guy so I've got the free VFR software AVARE on my android based phone and it's held to the panel with a spring clamp with a cell phone holder bolted to it. The exposed tubes are great for mounting a tablet if you want something more sophisticated and I'm sure there are photos of good mounting schemes. I also keep a penlight and pen on the ledge at the base of the instrument panel and tuck my checklist into the joint on the side of the instrument panel along the window. It's also a good place for stuffing a chart if you're carrying one. When I have a bag I strap it to the back seat but there are stories of the rear stick catching either the back of the front seat or parts of the rear seat so be careful when putting stuff anywhere near the rear stick.

Here's a pic of my little mount, so far it's held my phone through about 2.5 G's. :) (ignore the red instrument panel!)
1597805114983.png

Last edited:

Bob Turner

I am used to VFR no radio, no GPS. I used to be able to afford coast-to-coast Sectionals - then as they got more expensive I went to WACs. Now WACs do not have enough info; back to ten dollar Sectionals.

My most important piece of gear, other than a compass and a watch, was my water supply. A ball point and small tablet in the seat pocket (back seat pilot then) was enough.

The Dec has a special water bottle holder, designed for inverted flight, a pen holder, a clock, and the seat pocket, which can hold more sectionals than I can use in a day.

BB57

I have a 9.7" iPad that I use for ADS-B "in", weather and a moving map via the Flight Plan Go app. I use the small size RAM mount claw on the tubing with a couple long connectors and a double end connection to get it positioned in the corner between the door and the instrument panel and low enough to see the radios, but high enough to be able to reach under it to tune the radios.

107828735_1666775176814717_2396581503541381711_n.jpg

105631569_1661461730679395_2202640243822394836_n.jpg

My 7KCAB has an Airtex interior with a map pocket on the left side up front that works well for a checklist and a folded sectional. The door pocket was missing when I bought it and it took me awhile to find one. It was severely pocket challenged without it. It holds a knee board, along with a 10,000 mAh battery to power the iPad if it's a really long flight or series of flights. It's also where I keep my actual back up sectionals as well as barf bag at the rear where a passenger can reach it.

There is a pocket on the left side just forward of the rear seat. It can be reached by the pilot as well. It has a narrow slot for a pen on one edge, and my fuel stick and sump sampler live in the main section of the pocket along with a control lock, and spare batteries (in a case) for the Stratux and ANR headsets. There's also just enough room to tuck in a single water bottle, but it's a bit of a stretch for the pocket. The Stratux is suction cupped to the rear of the skylight on the right side, where it can be reached in flight as well. I also have a backup handheld radio on a RAM mount in the tubing in the upper left corner of the windshield where it's out of the way and not blocking the view. It's also my only VOR receiver. I have a headset adapter plugged in and velcroed to the up by the wing root, so I can quickly plug in my headset if a back up radio is needed. The PTT on the radio can be pressed with the left hand when needed.

75462288_1660598657432369_8974754474713197945_n.jpg

Last edited:

aftCG

Even really short RAM mounts shake too much for my taste. My iFly is stuck to the panel above my radio stack with 3M Dual Loc (seems like very coarse, plastic velcro). I know it's legit aerospace because I've used it in design (I've used velcro too but only the stuff you have to glue on yourself).

I've got one of those old "test pilot" type minimalist knee boards and just yesterday came to the conclusion that even it is too bulky for the back seat when you have someone else flying. It's fine in the front when I know where the stick is about to be pushed.

I also use one of my headset bags stuffed down on the left side of the front seat for things like hand held radio, water bottle, flashlight - depending on mission of the day. It is sized such that it is useful but does not interfere with the rudder pedal cables or the rudder pedal of the rear seat occupant.

I have no idea how you can have something hanging on the back of the front seat. My rear stick would hit it for sure, limiting forward travel or possibly worse. If I did new interior I would have side pockets on the left sidewall for sure.

Checklists and fuses in the door pocket. Fuel measuring stick and sumping thingy in the seat back pocket of the rear seat.

BB57

Even really short RAM mounts shake too much for my taste. My iFly is stuck to the panel above my radio stack with 3M Dual Loc (seems like very coarse, plastic velcro). I know it's legit aerospace because I've used it in design (I've used velcro too but only the stuff you have to glue on yourself).
/...

/...I also use one of my headset bags stuffed down on the left side of the front seat for things like hand held radio, water bottle, flashlight - depending on mission of the day. It is sized such that it is useful but does not interfere with the rudder pedal cables or the rudder pedal of the rear seat occupant.

I have no idea how you can have something hanging on the back of the front seat. My rear stick would hit it for sure, limiting forward travel or possibly worse. If I did new interior I would have side pockets on the left sidewall for sure..../
I get no vibration at all with my RAM mount. It's stable enough my wife reads it from the back seat. I do however have the adjustment knobs cranked down very tight.

I like the headset bag idea.

I perhaps wasn't clear. The pocket "just forward of the rear seat", is also on the left sidewall. [Edit: I see you may have been responding to Bob and his mention of a seat pocket. I'm with you on that. I'd never get close to full forward stick with a seat back pocket.]

118135875_1706274436198124_1938954666183125630_n.jpg

Bob Turner

Seat back pocket - in a J-3. I modified mine with pockets for ear plugs and pencils.

Back before radios, ear plugs were essential equipment.

I really should get a shot of my Dec door - water bottle & pen holders work at all attitudes.

By the way - my Dec still has a speaker. I cannot tell you how many times I have lost stuff from my shirt pocket, and found it on top of the speaker box!

BB57

Seat back pocket - in a J-3. I modified mine with pockets for ear plugs and pencils.

Back before radios, ear plugs were essential equipment.

I really should get a shot of my Dec door - water bottle & pen holders work at all attitudes.

By the way - my Dec still has a speaker. I cannot tell you how many times I have lost stuff from my shirt pocket, and found it on top of the speaker box!
I had seat back pockets in a PA-18 and in a PA-12. It works in those aircraft, not so much in a Citabria. I also miss the easily removable stick in the rear seat.

I learned to fly in a Supercub with a Narco Mk III, a hand held carbon microphone and a speaker. Even with ear plugs, I suspect those pre-headset days are one of the reasons I say "what?" more than I should.

The other day I converted one of my H10-40s to ANR. What an amazing difference, especially to someone with some hearing loss and some difficulty hearing with background noise. Things have come a long way.

BB57

In a J3 the seat back pocket is in front of the pilot. Easy access.
The PA-12 could be soloed from either seat, and flying from the rear seat was fun.

My larger concern in the Citabria is that a pocket on the back of the front seat will reduce the range of motion for the stick when the rear stick hits the pocket and it's contents. The PA-12 and PA-18 didn't have the same issue.

DanO

This was not my idea but was in the airplane when I bought it. I find it pretty useful for storing a variety of small stuff. Apparently designed for some marine application like a kayak or PWC.
IMG_3503.JPGIMG_3503.JPG

Bob Turner

Couple photos today - should have turned the aircraft for better light. Drink holder was billed as a “tactical” something or other. Pen holder is one of those woven things that came with mini-Mag lights. Both survive inverted flight without the contents departing. Mounted with aluminum reinforcements on the plastic door cover.

971CC4A5-3424-4642-B294-DBB282C8052C.jpeg

Big Ed

N50247 - '79 Super D
Had an epiphany on a trip yesterday. A small cardboard box fits perfectly behind the front seat and is easily reached in flight.
PXL_20210615_223835815.jpg

Bob Turner

The real epiphany comes when you roll upside down.

I got one of those "tactical" water bottle holders and bolted it to the front of the door. Now the only time my water bottle bonks me on the head is when I forget to pull the neck closed.

Ron86654

www.advancedtailwheeltraining.com
Any unsecured item in the cockpit, especially near the flight controls may get your full attention one day.

Bob Turner

I was joking. I have gone coast to coast in the summer with a gallon jug of water sitting roughly where Ed's box is. I am sure, with a big enough jolt, it could have become a problem, but a J3 in the summer bounces around a good bit, and it just sat there.

Big Ed

N50247 - '79 Super D
That box was wedged in pretty good between the front seat frame and the aileron cable cover. It wasn't going anywhere. If I was worried about the items I could close the box lid.

Point being, I was looking for a convenient place to stow snacks, water, and comfort items on long XC trips, and that is a pretty good spot if you are alone.