8KCAB Cowl Fasteners

Big Ed

N50247 - '79 Super D
If I ever decide to put my military training to use for sabotage, my first target would probably be the Southco factory. Just kidding. Sort of. Man, I hate those damn quarter turn fasteners.

Anyone have any better options? Bob, I found a cub forum post from 20 years ago where you said you were converting yours to screws. How did that work out?

At a minimum, I would like to replace my existing soutco fasteners and receptacles. Anyone have a count by size and length? Are they all medium (p/n 82), or are there any larges (85)?

Bob Turner

I hate them too. Note how the bottom cowl is held on - 10-32 FH stainless, with those dimpled washers. You need double-eared 10-32 nut plates - floating is better - a drill, a rivet squeezer, and some rivets. Easy job.

An electric screwdriver is really helpful for on and off.

Of course, it makes you slightly less enthusiastic about a good engine compartment inspection. Still, worth it.

Tangogawd

hahaha, after owning a mooney, nothing pisses me off anymore when it comes to cowls or panels.......... All three of my citabria's had screws holding the cowls on, but come to think of it, looks like they have been converted. next chance I get I'll look at what mine has and share

kubark42

Out of curiosity, why the dislike of quarter-turn fasteners? I was thinking about upgrading from screws to quarter turns. No more cowl damage from over-enthusiastic screwdriver wielders, no more screws missing, no more damage to props blades from falling screws, no more failing nutplates, no more finishing washers which cost $0.10 but $5 in shipping, etc...

Everything I've ever had with quarter-turns was far better from my perspective. I've never used a quarter-turn and wished it were a screw.

But it sounds like there's a strong consensus it the opposite direction. What have I missed?

Bob Turner

Find a Decathlon with quarter turn fasteners, take the cowl off and put it on. Do the same to yours using an electric screwdriver, then you can make an informed decision.

There are better quarter-turn fasteners. Some of the later Mooneys have really good ones.

Laytonl

my ‘92 Mooney has camloc’s which I despise. The fiberglass wears unevenly requiring different size camlocs, they fall out, and while #3 may have been in a certain hole, it may need a number 4 when reinstalled. I prefer screws. Lee

Bob Turner

Our B model had a half million #10 PK screws - before the electric screwdriver.

I agree - the “J” has a couple Camlocks that fall out when the cowl is removed. I converted my Decathlon to 10-32 nutplates, and could not be happier. I also converted the upper part of the J4 bootcowl to 8-32 nutplates, and that made a significant difference in my life the next time the gas tank sprung a leak.