Door Removed, STC SA33CE

Norm

I'm curious if anyone has purchased this STC and if flight in a Citabria is enjoyable with the door removed on a hot summer day? Thanks

Bob Turner

Does the STC just allow removal, or do you have to install a strap, like the J4?

Norm

Door off , right off the deck on a pretty morning is as good as it gets .
Sounds like this STC has just been added to my "things to purchase list" during my rebuild. Thanks

Does the STC just allow removal, or do you have to install a strap, like the J4?
As far as I understand it the limitations are as follows:
-door removed
-Vne 100mph
-no loose objects inside
-no smoking

Cowboys Air Ranch 84ME

Well Folks,

I just "Bit the Bullet" and went ahead and purchased the STC today. I have been going to the STOL Competitions around my area (Just Watching), and went once with my door removed (It does get in the 90s up here in Northern Maine in the summer). I was told that it was illegal and that a FAA fella was on the field, so watch out for him.

So, I was "Paranoid" the rest of that day,... but it was uneventful. The STC was purchased from the Aeronca Website, (STC #SA33CE). ACA directed me there. So, $50.00 later I will be now legal for next year. Pretty pricey for a piece of paper, but well worth the effort.

Now, if I can find a nice, quality and reliable window latch to keep my left window open while in flight? There is a bent piece of spring steel that holds it open to the wing right now. Now appealing and comes loose on occasion. Any Ideas or Pictures?

Figured I would do as many upgrades and get things signed off since we are performing an Annual and Fuel Tank repair right now anyway.

Ken "COWBOY" Winiarski
c/o Cowboys Air Ranch (84ME)

Norm

I just looked up 84ME, you are only about 2 hr flight from the strip I am building in Nova Scotia. I'll be sure and extend an invite once I get it finished and my Citabria restored.

Attachments

Cowboys Air Ranch 84ME

I just looked up 84ME, you are only about 2 hr flight from the strip I am building in Nova Scotia. I'll be sure and extend an invite once I get it finished and my Citabria restored.
Howdy,

This is what my airstrip looked like a year and half ago. Do not have a recent aerial pic, sorry. Since this pic was taken, I have cleared another 2000ft on the north side and filling the low center (Top of the pic). It is 1600ft usable of good grass right now due to construction/re-construction and lengthening. It will be 3600ft when done next year hopefully.

I use it regularly, and many folks do as well, but better for a tailwheel aircraft than a tricycle gear at this time, but I had a Cherokee 180 land there (Light) and get off without any problem. Welcome for anyone to use, just call ahead of time and scout it out. Hope to locate a set of skis for this winter, but wrong time of year to get a decent price, but Boats are selling cheap now!!!!

I did get a grant from the RAF (Recreational Aviation Foundation) to do some of this work, and we plan on making it a premier fly-in destination with Pilot Cabins, Courtesy Cars, Camping Facility and most needed, Bathrooms. But lets not get started on the last part of my writings.

COWBOY

Attachments

Cowboys Air Ranch 84ME

I'm curious if anyone has purchased this STC and if flight in a Citabria is enjoyable with the door removed on a hot summer day? Thanks
Howdy,

Once my STC is delivered, I will post all the particulars of what it says, and any additions needed. They said it will take a week or so.

Any,..... YES, Quite fun to slow down to 65, door off and window open, just living the "High Life". But not in the winter I suppose.

COWBOY

Norm

I must admit I'm a wee bit spoiled when it comes to having the door off. But I've not done it in an airplane and am keen to try it on a nice relaxing day.

Attachments

Laytonl

As Norm said the STC is pretty straightforward. install a placard, don’t exceed 100 mph. I leave me door off all summer in Georgia. Lee

Goodyear

Well Folks,

I just "Bit the Bullet" and went ahead and purchased the STC today. I have been going to the STOL Competitions around my area (Just Watching), and went once with my door removed (It does get in the 90s up here in Northern Maine in the summer). I was told that it was illegal and that a FAA fella was on the field, so watch out for him.

So, I was "Paranoid" the rest of that day,... but it was uneventful. The STC was purchased from the Aeronca Website, (STC #SA33CE). ACA directed me there. So, $50.00 later I will be now legal for next year. Pretty pricey for a piece of paper, but well worth the effort.

Now, if I can find a nice, quality and reliable window latch to keep my left window open while in flight? There is a bent piece of spring steel that holds it open to the wing right now. Now appealing and comes loose on occasion. Any Ideas or Pictures?

Figured I would do as many upgrades and get things signed off since we are performing an Annual and Fuel Tank repair right now anyway.

Ken "COWBOY" Winiarski
c/o Cowboys Air Ranch (84ME)
Custom made

Attachments

Cowboys Air Ranch 84ME

Custom made
Howdy,

Very Nice !!! That will be my next project. right now thee is a small piece of pipe clamp material that has to be bent each time it is locked open and releases the window in flight. Not a good set-up.

But yours is well made from what I can see. Believe it is Stainless Spring Steel possibly?

COWBOY

Gillie

You can fit a cabinet door , spring loaded “bayonet “ type catch in that wing mounted housing and rivet a corresponding cabinet door bayonet type stud to the window to hold it open with a push and close it with a pull .
works slick .

Bob Turner

Do the Super Cub latch. $20 from Cub Crafters, a dollar ninety eight from Ace Hardware. Semi-positive latching.

donv

I have the STC. It's windy (so I love the "No Smoking" limitation-- like you could keep a cigarette lit in that wind!), and 100mph is pretty limiting, at least in my 7GCAA. Still, it's cool to have.

The door is very easy to remove (just hold it and pull the quick disconnect latch), but harder to put back with just one person. I find it's much easier to have a second person so that one person can hold the door and the other person can align the pins.

Cowboys Air Ranch 84ME

I have the STC. It's windy (so I love the "No Smoking" limitation-- like you could keep a cigarette lit in that wind!), and 100mph is pretty limiting, at least in my 7GCAA. Still, it's cool to have.

The door is very easy to remove (just hold it and pull the quick disconnect latch), but harder to put back with just one person. I find it's much easier to have a second person so that one person can hold the door and the other person can align the pins.
Howdy,

I did get a quick flight in a 7ECA this summer with the door removed and window open. I was in the back seat, but it was very nice, windy, but nice, but a little intimating at the time. It was only 74 degree day also. Will be nice on them 80+ degree days.

I can not wait to try it out on my 7ECA, and 100mph is pretty much it for that old girl of mine unless I want to burn 8-9 GPH. pushing the throttle to the firewall to keep 115 mph.

I like 65-70 mph "Low and Slow" and 5.5 GPH fuel burn.

Ken "COWBOY" Winiarski
Cowboys Air Ranch (84ME)