EAA Airventure OSHKOSH 2021, July 26 to Aug 1

Goodyear

I will definitely(probably) be going. Going stir crazy staying in the pattern.

Hiperbiper

It looks like Matt Younkin won't be doing his Beech 18 routine at OSH this year.
He had a landing gear problem in Missouri and the plane is damaged. His crew is good but I don't see this being repaired in time. He wasn't hurt and I'm sure will put on a great show no matter what he chooses to fly in the show!

Chris

Bruce

Any one near Big Piney WY that would like some company flying to OSH ? Well OK I’m stuck without my plane and looking for a ride to show. Thought I’d post hear also for members going how about a meet up for breakfast on site be nice to put faces to names.

Big Ed

N50247 - '79 Super D
Putting finishing touches on the plan for my big trip. Florida to Arkansas for camping, then on to Colorado for work. Across the Midwest to upstate Wisconsin to visit friends. Then Oshkosh, ACA, and home. With luck I will add 10 states to my list of places I have landed.

Right now planning on being at OSH on 29 July, with ACA visit on the morning of 30 July on my way out of state. All that subject to weather of course.

Last edited:

Bruce

I’ve got transportation 😁😁😁 will arrive on 26 or 27 planning on 3 days of gluttony on aircraft then back to reality, maybe.

Big Ed

N50247 - '79 Super D
My timeline has shifted somewhat. I plan to arrive at Oshkosh on Sunday night and depart on Weds morning. I hope to visit ACA on my way out.

Going to be an epic XC trip, 26 hours flying over 9 days and 13 states.

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
oshkosh is calling me but i have to go to denver for two days in the sim on the 22nd and 23rd. if i can come up with a place to stay i might fly to chicago and drive up but i have put zero thought into it unfortunately. would love to meet up with you guys somehow. 1st round is definitely on me. is that beer garden place going to be open?

Big Ed

N50247 - '79 Super D
You are welcome to camp with me if you show up while I am there.

If there were any interest in a group fly-in to ACA, I would revise my itinerary. Monday or Weds morning would work well.

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
See what happens when I try posting after coming home from an all night, 15:20 hr long flight? Oshkosh is the next week! lol.

I get back from a trip on the 30th so the earliest I could make it out there would be the 31st. I was thinking of maybe asking via the aerobatics exploder if anyone has a floor I can crash on near the airport.

We can talk about organizing a fly in for next year. I'd be interested but it would take time to organize, especially if we were going to encourage people to do a formation arrival.

Big Ed

N50247 - '79 Super D
I think the answer to my question is NO, there is no camping at the IAC area.

Waiting on one last parts shipment from Spruce tomorrow. IF it arrives on time, and IF no further hiccups arise during the annual, and IF the weather is decent on Saturday or Sunday ... I will be at Oshkosh on Monday and Tuesday. Planning an ACA visit on Weds morning on the way out of town.

Big Ed

N50247 - '79 Super D
Ok, got the new mag harnesses and installed. Ran up the aircraft to verify the new oil temp gauge works. All that remains tomorrow is for the A&P to do a compression check and finish the spar inspection. So it's about 90% sure that I'll be able to get it out of annual and launch on Saturday enroute to Oshkosh.

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
great to hear it Ed. Are you expecting to be able to land at Oshkosh or at a satellite airport? I've never tried it, have no idea how it works.

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
I love it Ed! We'll be rooting for you! Please check in from time to time and let us know how you're making out.

Joe

The tricky part, if it is busy, can be getting into the line. Once your on the VFR approach it is pretty easy. A traffic spotter in the plane with you is helpful. Study the NOTAM. I did the VFR arrival once and the B2OSH formation a couple of times both were equally exciting and worth the trip. Hopefully by next year I will be ready to join you.

Big Ed

N50247 - '79 Super D
Halfway there! I stopped at Rough River State Park in Kentucky. This place is way cool. It has all the typical state park facilities ... lodge, restaurant, cabins, pool, lake, trails, etc ... plus it has an airfield (2I3)! You can camp anywhere on the field and they have bathrooms, showers, etc.

I did have a maintenance issue enroute. Felt an unusual draft hitting my face and realized one of the hinge pins on the side window is gone. I brought some safety wire so I'll use that til I can get the proper materials. Which is, what?
PXL_20210725_011838281.jpg

Reactions: Joe