Fabric help

I’m working on a 79 7GCBC fuselage recover. Doing with poly fiber. Saw in a poly instruction manual that you should not use zinc chromate on tubes. Did a little sanding on some of mine and need to prime, paint, etc. is the no zinc chromate advice accurate. If it is, any recommendations on what to use?

Bob Turner

Be careful what you breathe. In the olden days you could get dope proof paint. The. You just coated the tubes with primer, then enamel, and brushed on the dope proof. It was like house paint.

Maybe spraying epoxy isn't as dangerous as things with iso-cyanates in them.

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
I’m working on a 79 7GCBC fuselage recover. Doing with poly fiber. Saw in a poly instruction manual that you should not use zinc chromate on tubes. Did a little sanding on some of mine and need to prime, paint, etc. is the no zinc chromate advice accurate. If it is, any recommendations on what to use?
Is there a help line where you can ask the manufacturer what they prefer if not zinc chromate? Is zinc chromate available still? The cans i had for primer were zinc phosphate, it probably doesn't make a difference as far as poly fiber is concerned but I'd ask the manufacturer what is best under the fabric adhesive.

Bob Turner

The problem is the Poly Tak pulling the paint off, leaving bare metal to corrode. You need a coating that will resist that. I used zinc chromate coated with epoxy yellow in 1969, and so far no rust! My airplane was outside until 1981, and again between 2003 and 2010.