Citabria Fuel sight gauge leak?

I’m looking for some help for what has become a chronic problem. The fuel sight gauge on my 7ECA has started to leak again. I repaired it to original, using factory replacement parts, a year ago. Just this week, I’ve noticed it starting to weep—see photo. Has anyone had a similar problem? If so, how did you repair? Is there a better after market solution?

Attachments

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
Kevin, I haven't heard much about them leaking which would lead me to believe either there is a defect of some sort preventing the gaskets from sealing or the parts/gaskets are in there in the wrong order. I suppose it could also be leaking through the threads of the insert that keeps it all together. can you tell if the fuel is leaking along the outside or inside of the insert?

Tangogawd

I Haven't seen citabria gauges just leak after one year. make sure you inspect for cracks in the threads, welds, and any unit itself.

Bill Martin

I dont seem to find a source of gaskets for this old style round fuel gage. Wag Aero no longer has them although they do have the glass windows.

Bill Martin

Thanks Kevin, just reach in my back pocket and pick up the phone. I have got used to buying the older model part elsewhere usually as Aeronca or Bellanca parts.

Last edited:
Wag-Aero is always a great choice! But don't overlook the expertise and great customer service provided by Dale & company at ACA.

Bill Martin

I didn't mean to slight ACA and certainly not Dale. As an A&P, IA, and Decathlon owner, I have bought several thousand dollars worth of parts from ACA and I appreciate the service and support. My first order is dated Feb 23, 1989 and Dale had to fish out an engine mount from a semi trailer they had just moved from Texas. I was so glad to get it. This was just as they had purchased the Champion type certificates and old parts and moved them to Rochester. Jerry and Charlene Mehlhaff often answered the phone. Anyone who can suceed in the aircraft manufacturing business for 33 years gets my admiration.