Fuselage Rotisserie Pics

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
Was at the factory and noticed a bare fuselage mounted to a rotisserie. I think they all go through assembly by first being mounted to a rotisserie.

Here are some pics. The upper engine mount attach points at the front of the frame are pretty close to the bottom of the tailwheel attach fitting. There's a pic that shows the offset. Getting it pretty close makes sure there's no pressure/bending being applied to the frame as it's turned in the jig.

20210709_084334.jpg20210709_084244.jpg20210709_084257.jpg20210709_084322.jpg

aftCG

Those rotating stands are obviously used for painting. And of course no reason they couldn't be used for initial systems installation but for my Kitfox I haven't had a day where I wish I could flip it over. I'm likely to change my mind when I begin covering.

There should have been some beast of a fixture around there used for holding all those pieces of tubing so they can weld up a fuselage. Likely that it would not be obvious what its use is for. Just a hot, complicated mess of steel plate/tube/gussets, clamps mounted securely to the floor. Also likely that it's not in that building.

Bob Turner

For prep and covering I just bolt four 2x4s to the engine mount attach points, and get the Greek to help rotating. My buddy invented a pretty simple bearing/ stand so he could do it without any cooperation from the fairer sex. They can be uncooperative on occasion.

Doing a Taylorcraft next month. Will get photos.

angelo c

Was at the factory and noticed a bare fuselage mounted to a rotisserie. I think they all go through assembly by first being mounted to a rotisserie.

Here are some pics. The upper engine mount attach points at the front of the frame are pretty close to the bottom of the tailwheel attach fitting. There's a pic that shows the offset. Getting it pretty close makes sure there's no pressure/bending being applied to the frame as it's turned in the jig.

View attachment 3856View attachment 3857View attachment 3858View attachment 3859
Looks like something we can welder up fairly easy and get lots of use out of

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
i bought two second hand engine stands and will need to extend them up a bit but they should work pretty well. I've been curious where the attach points ought to be so that was why I went looking when I saw the frame mounted up.

@aftCG there's a video clip somewhere of the fuselage frame jig from the 40's that is still cranking out frames. I shot the video the first time I was at the factory to drop off my frame.

angelo c

i bought two second hand engine stands and will need to extend them up a bit but they should work pretty well. I've been curious where the attach points ought to be so that was why I went looking when I saw the frame mounted up.

@aftCG there's a video clip somewhere of the fuselage frame jig from the 40's that is still cranking out frames. I shot the video the first time I was at the factory to drop off my frame.
You good with a welder? I got you if not

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
I can gas weld and have a Tig welder but still haven't made friends with it. If you want to come I can have it ready and we can weld it up in the garage. :) maybe in a week or two? and thanks for offering.

angelo c

I can gas weld and have a Tig welder but still haven't made friends with it. If you want to come I can have it ready and we can weld it up in the garage. :) maybe in a week or two? and thanks for offering.
I can mig with the worst of em. Say when. I just got my tig set up. Gonna need to screw up some welds first for that. Fear not though----i have grinders and paint !!! šŸ˜€