7/8 GCBC Fuselage top fabric/plexiglass threshold detach

Jay

2011 7 GCBC. The front edge of the lateral tape or rubber threshold across the top of the fuselage, forming the transition between the fabric extending aft and the plexiglass top window extending forward, has detached thoughout its span across the fuselage. Transition material has lifted about a quarter inch at the center.

Has anyone else seen anything like this? Thoughts on fix?

Thanks.

Attachments

Bob Turner

I think this is a problem area. Ron Percy is the guy you should talk to - Rainbow Flying Service.

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
2011 7 GCBC. The front edge of the lateral tape or rubber threshold across the top of the fuselage, forming the transition between the fabric extending aft and the plexiglass top window extending forward, has detached thoughout its span across the fuselage. Transition material has lifted about a quarter inch at the center.

Has anyone else seen anything like this? Thoughts on fix?

Thanks.
is that the original fabric? I have been under the impression the greenhouse glass sits on the fabric across the back.

Jay

The plane is relatively new to me but it doe appear to have original fabric and there is no log entry to the contrary. The fabric itself may go under the greenhouse as you suggest; this appears to be a heavy tape or other transition material that has separated from the top of the plexiglass.

I ended up talking Patrick the station manager and Chad in parts at the repair station at the ACA factory site in WI. They were both super helpful. It seems the solution is a particular contact cement that they use in construction of the aircraft. They are sending me some and I'll report on the fix as it progresses.

Thanks.

champ guy

I am fitting the rear greenhouse attach pieces before covering on my Decathlon. From your previous posts, I guess the fabric goes over both of those pieces and wraps around the front piece that holds the rear of the greenhouse glass in? Is that where a person uses that special contact cement?

Also, at the front of the greenhouse, the parts book seems to show the top piece that holds the back of the windshield and the front of the greenhouse glass with the holes facing toward the tail. Is that correct? It seems like the holes should be facing forward.

Attachments

Hiperbiper

I am fitting the rear greenhouse attach pieces before covering on my Decathlon. From your previous posts, I guess the fabric goes over both of those pieces and wraps around the front piece that holds the rear of the greenhouse glass in? Is that where a person uses that special contact cement?

Also, at the front of the greenhouse, the parts book seems to show the top piece that holds the back of the windshield and the front of the greenhouse glass with the holes facing toward the tail. Is that correct? It seems like the holes should be facing forward.
The two pieces in the front face opposite directions. The one facing aft holds the greenhouse plexi between itself and the front wood former. The one facing forward sits about 1/8" lower and is where the top of the windshield attaches. The rear aluminum piece mounts to the aft side of the rear wood former. The plexi sits in the depression (after the top fuselage covering is attached) and captures the fabric between the aluminum and the plexi. Fabric then goes across the whole thing to make a smooth transition...it's this fabric strip that comes loose in the slipstream.
Front 2 pieces
20210628_142606.jpg20210625_164038.jpg
Rear transition
20210625_170943.jpg20210629_152634.jpg
The black rubber strip is a seal I put under the rear of the plexi.
Hope this helps...
Chris

Jay

Belated report on rear fabric reattach, behind greenhouse, with contact cement. It worked but only after one fail. It turned out the contact cement supplied by the ACA repair station needs 2-4 hours to set up before pressing the pieces together. Time depends on humidity, dryer air means closer to two hours. If you do it sooner: no stick. Masking both sides with sharp line masking tape really helps keep the cement off the the fabric and the plexiglass. Fabric has remained secure after several hours of flying.

champ guy

Thanks, this helps me. I was thinking that I needed to use two metal strips aft to attach the plexi. The pictures make sense to me.
Would you suggest that I use the ACA contact cement on the tape or just use the fabric cement that I use on the other tapes?

Jeff

Hiperbiper

Thanks, this helps me. I was thinking that I needed to use two metal strips aft to attach the plexi. The pictures make sense to me.
Would you suggest that I use the ACA contact cement on the tape or just use the fabric cement that I use on the other tapes?

Jeff
I use the Poly Tac fabric glue with good results myself but others use the contact cement like the factory. Either works.
A word to the wise; if you use the contact cement get a helper to assist on the rear fabric strip; it's a long piece and hard to keep straight. And once the two sides touch its stuck for good, straight or crooked...
Chris

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Chris! I'm mounting the front and rear attach brackets so I can get the stringers moving and wanted to put a spacer in at the front for the greeenhouse panel like Chuck did. Appreciate it!

Last edited:

Bob Turner

The factory specifies contact cement for all fabric attachment. I think it is overkill. The solution is an STC process - Stits or Ceconite. Then you just use the universal Super Seam cement and it becomes a major alteration, not a major repair.