glider towing

garyguinn

I don't believe I can legally install a tow hook on my 8kcab...since no flaps.
Glider towing is actually quite enjoyable.. our club uses a Pawnee PA25-250..
plenty of power and loads of fun...
really good way to build more tailwheel time and with lots of different wind conditions.

3bounce

If you are interested in a hook, for glider towing I have one off a 7gcbc I would part with. You could check the stc for applicability.

djpacro

One of my friends has been towing gliders for years with his Super D, another about to fit a hook and do it too.

Bob Turner

Flaps are drag. I would think one would want to minimize drag when towing. If it is any help, my Dec goes up at 1200'/min, accoding to my ancient R/C ind. That's probably enough power to pull a glider.

garyguinn

ok, all good info! I'll see if I can find the STC to see if I can fit it to my 8KCAB. was told that I couldn't... which I
took at face value...
I do know that glider towing is an absolute blast....especially on the way down after the glider releases!

Tailwheel Rick

I'm recovering a 79 7GCBC (with flaps) and it has the tow cable installed but no hook or release mechanism by the seat.... just the cable. There is an STC for the installation back when the plane was just a couple of years old. I'd like to keep it and have a hook for future towing. Looking for a hook if anyone has one or knows of one.

Bill Vickland

I'm recovering a 79 7GCBC (with flaps) and it has the tow cable installed but no hook or release mechanism by the seat.... just the cable. There is an STC for the installation back when the plane was just a couple of years old. I'd like to keep it and have a hook for future towing. Looking for a hook if anyone has one or knows of one.

Bill Vickland

I have been towing for years with a Scout and a KCAB. You don't l need flaps. Flaps are helpful with Cessnas in order to keep the pitch angle lower when towing slow. I suspect you can buy the installation drawing and STC for anything being used to tow by writing or calling the Soaring Society of America in Hobbs NM.
Bill Vickland

Tailwheel Rick

Before I cover my plane, I'm considering installing a tow hook for future glider towing. It's a GCBC. Any recommendations for tow system and source?

Bill Vickland

Schweizer Aircraft Co no longer exitss, but you can contact K&L Soaring in New York. K&L are Kyle and Les Schweizer, grandson and son of Earnie Schweizer the key designer and originator of Schweizer Aircraft Co. They hold the STC for one kind of tow hook, and you can also install the Tost hook. However as I mentioned above, the Soaring Society of America can also help you. With 150 HP you can tow single place gliders, but you would need lots of runway to haul a two place glider. My KCAB would tow a modern fibreglas glider at about 400 fpm.