Heel Brake Installation Help

When removing my heel brake system in the early phase of my 7ECA rebuild, I neglected to note how the heel brakes were installed. As I am putting it all back together, I am confused with regard to the connection of the Cleveland brake pushrods and the two connecting rods to the front a back heel brakes. The parts manual is not clear, but the parts list says that the rear heel brake is connected to the rod with an AN-5 bolt. That clearly puts it in the bottom of two holes in the brake pedal. The upper hole is too wide for the AN 3-5. My Service Manual shows only tow brakes and my service manual indicates that a single AN 3-10 is used to connect the both the connecting rod and the Cleveland brake push rod to the pedal. Because of the thickness of the upper hole in the brake pedal, both cannot be connected with the AN 3-10. Also, it does not make sense that the connecting rods would be connected to different hole in the front and back pedals . So it seems that both the connecting rod and brake pushrod should be connected the lower of the two holes in the pedals When the rod is connected to the lower holes in the brake pedals, it rubs on the diagonal cross member of the fuselage frame.

The second issue is minor. The AN 3-10 bolt is too long which is an uncharacteristic call out for the parts manual. I can solve the bolt length issue by adding one or two additional washers. The manual calls out two, I assume one under the nut and one between the connecting rod and the brake pushrod. I suppose an extra washer is not a big deal, but it is strange, unless it is related to my first issue.

I'm not seeing something here. I would greatly appreciate it if someone can tell me the proper hook up.

Many thanks.
Bill Vickland

PS. I do recall that the brake pedals were installed with the wider heel pad directed toward the outside and the rudder pedal. I assume that is correct, but it does appear to limit the space, between the brake and rudder pedal in the rear. Please verify my assumption here.
Thanks again.
Bill Vickland

Sully, many thanks. That is strange because that means that the rear brake pedal has better leverage. But why else are there two sets of hole unless they are both used in some way. Thanks again.
Bill V