Hello from MD! Shopping for a 7ECA

B737jenkins

I own a PA 28-180 that my kids are learning to fly in, and some friends and I are looking at forming a club to purchase a Citabria to have some more fun with. We’ve got the basics down, and are into the shopping phase. We’re looking at 7ECA models. If you had to shop for yours again, what would you look for? I know for me, the learning curve after buying the Cherokee was steep, and now I’m a much more educated owner. Can those who own a 7ECA perhaps share some of that similar type specific owner info?

Bob Turner

I would look for spring steel gear, Milman spars, and Cleveland heel brakes.

If you have an A&P in the club, you can do wood spars. Nothing wrong with them except a tousand dollars labor every year for a bogus inspection AD. Takes 8 hours.

I should defend that word: the only way to actually inspect every square inch of every surface of a wood spar is to pull it out of the wing. The Rainbow inspection plate is proof of that. Opinion.

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
I own a PA 28-180 that my kids are learning to fly in, and some friends and I are looking at forming a club to purchase a Citabria to have some more fun with. We’ve got the basics down, and are into the shopping phase. We’re looking at 7ECA models. If you had to shop for yours again, what would you look for? I know for me, the learning curve after buying the Cherokee was steep, and now I’m a much more educated owner. Can those who own a 7ECA perhaps share some of that similar type specific owner info?
Welcome to the site Mr. Jenkins! How far have you gotten with setting up the club? Would you mind maybe telling us about your club plans? I was thinking about building a club around my plane sometime after it's done and before our daughter starts college.

Welcome!

B737jenkins

Sure! The idea came about through casual conversations at the local airport. The group is made up of folks who either already own an airplane (V35, Cherokee 180, A36, PA32R-300, PA28-235 and Apache) or have access to one. Several are professional pilots and a couple are IA’s. I think everyone looks longingly at the simplicity and fun of just getting back to stick and rudder, but no one wants to part ways with what they currently have. Enter a club that would allow access to a Citabria. As you know, it’s not that easy to find a tailwheel rental. As it develops, I’ll keep everyone posted. Thanks for any information...

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
I guess you've already been through what AOPA has to offer in the way of help and advice for starting a club? If I could snap my fingers and have it here already I'd have a Champ, a Citabria, and a Decathlon with a bunch of members, a hangar, and a charcoal grill for Friday nights. At the moments I have a formerly flying Citabria! :mad:

Who do you fly for?

B737jenkins

I guess you've already been through what AOPA has to offer in the way of help and advice for starting a club? If I could snap my fingers and have it here already I'd have a Champ, a Citabria, and a Decathlon with a bunch of members, a hangar, and a charcoal grill for Friday nights. At the moments I have a formerly flying Citabria! :mad:

Who do you fly for?
Thanks for the advice. Southwest, BWI.

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
Spoke to a friend with a lot of flying club admin type of experience. He's on board with the idea of a Champ/Citabria based club, I'll open up another sub-forum for flying club conversations and share whatever we come up with.
UAL, Newark :)

Bruce

Bartman I thought you'd be back in the air by now, recovering takes a lot more time than one would think. So my first suggestion on a plane is find one with good fabric, as for spars I left the wood in mine 1979 ECA being An A&P I thought 90 days to strip and cover. WRONG taking fabric off was easy the glue removal took forever then life got busy and its on the back burner at least till after my daughter wedding. Next figure the primary roll of the aircraft and have a very trusted person do the pre buy inspection. If your going to do off field landings think about the HP you would like to have as well. Good luck with your new toy and post a picture

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
Bruce,
The plan was to make a club around my 7ECA when it was done but we're talking about starting with a Champ/L16 and then maybe adding my plane later or just going with a 7KCAB for more performance. If we're really rolling I'd like to add an 8KCAB at some point and allow some acro for members that want to fly contests. So in ten years if we've got a tailwheel/acro club I'll be a happy guy.

The good new is, Joe, the guy I spoke with yesterday, sees it pretty much eye to eye with me so we're ready to start talking details and then open it up to see who's interested. My plane will be done soon enough, it's ready for prep sanding of the fuselage and then paint. Then paint and trim for the tailfeathers and misc. fairings and parts. Reassembly and an annual and we're done. Prop is being overhauled and the interior will be simplified in the process, found Rainbow floorboards under the carpet so that's a plus since the carpets are coming out.

Need to get flying again!

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
Is that the one that was on Barnstormers in VA or MD? Congrats and good luck with it!

Nice looking Citabria!

Now start posting photos!!! lol

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
I saw it on BS, looked nice, hope it works out well for your group.

Did I already say you need to post pics?? :)

B737jenkins

The mailman brought a great treat...The STC to fly our 7ECA with the door off! Our IA partner is knocking out the 337 and W&B. Good stuff.

6E50FD3E-33A7-45B7-853B-57F91DE95EA0.jpeg

B737jenkins

Today was a big day for us and our Citabria club. After getting the airplane in July, and working around members schedules, a little maintenance here and there, and weather, we now have all 8 members signed off with TW endorsements. Our group includes 3 CFI’s and 2 A&P’s - 1 with IA. 8 really smiley pilots in all!