Hello World!

rjgritter

Hi all! Happy to be here. My name is RJ and I'm a relatively new pilot in the airshow world. At the very end of 2015 I was adopted by a 1977 150HP Decathlon CS. It's been a fantastic airplane - I can't imagine a better "do it all" machine, or a better way to learn aerobatics. It sure makes you work for precision, but it's very rewarding.

I grew up in North Carolina in a flying family, with a flight instructor mom and test pilot dad, so I was in the pilot seat earlier than I can remember. I started flying radio-control aerobatics at age 12 and was fortunate enough to travel the US and the world flying competition. In "full-scale" airplanes, I soloed on my 16th birthday and passed my checkride for my private pilot's license on my 17th. My passion for radio-control aerobatics transferred over when I took a few aerobatic lessons in a 7KCAB for my senior project in high school... I was hooked! I graduated from NC State in 2015 with a BS in Aerospace Engineering and moved to Virginia to work at Aurora Flight Sciences. Just down the road in Bealeton, we have a magical place called the Flying Circus - a little slice of history where we fly airshows every weekend, May through October. I joined the ground crew at the Flying Circus, started flying the Decathlon at the end of 2015, and flew my first airshow in the last Circus show of 2016. I flew something like 27 shows (many at the Circus, 6 or 7 outside shows) last year and am loving every minute of it!

Here's a video from Culpeper Airfest last year:

Anyway, I hope to learn a lot from everyone on the forum and hopefully be of help to someone else as well.

See you at the airport!

RJ

Chuck Schweiss

Hi all! Happy to be here. My name is RJ and I'm a relatively new pilot in the airshow world. At the very end of 2015 I was adopted by a 1977 150HP Decathlon CS. It's been a fantastic airplane - I can't imagine a better "do it all" machine, or a better way to learn aerobatics. It sure makes you work for precision, but it's very rewarding.

I grew up in North Carolina in a flying family, with a flight instructor mom and test pilot dad, so I was in the pilot seat earlier than I can remember. I started flying radio-control aerobatics at age 12 and was fortunate enough to travel the US and the world flying competition. In "full-scale" airplanes, I soloed on my 16th birthday and passed my checkride for my private pilot's license on my 17th. My passion for radio-control aerobatics transferred over when I took a few aerobatic lessons in a 7KCAB for my senior project in high school... I was hooked! I graduated from NC State in 2015 with a BS in Aerospace Engineering and moved to Virginia to work at Aurora Flight Sciences. Just down the road in Bealeton, we have a magical place called the Flying Circus - a little slice of history where we fly airshows every weekend, May through October. I joined the ground crew at the Flying Circus, started flying the Decathlon at the end of 2015, and flew my first airshow in the last Circus show of 2016. I flew something like 27 shows (many at the Circus, 6 or 7 outside shows) last year and am loving every minute of it!

Here's a video from Culpeper Airfest last year:

Anyway, I hope to learn a lot from everyone on the forum and hopefully be of help to someone else as well.

See you at the airport!

RJ
Nice job!