Hiperbipe Acro

Hiperbiper

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I found a flight video of 7HT on EwwToob from years ago I'd forgotten about. I know not a lot of people have even heard of a Hiperbipe so here it is! (I hope).

Chris

aftCG

That was a fun ride.
I've been familiar with the Hiperbipe going way back. When I was a teenager I used to take the bus to the closest airport, now long gone. I took pictures of every parked plane that interested me, and occasionally got lucky with an offer for a ride. I even got to sit in a Grumman Widgeon and crank the engines while the owner fiddled with the mag timing (I think that's what we were doing).

Anyway there was a very nicely built Hiperbipe in one of the open faced "car ports" and I had researched it and found the designer right here in Washington. The plane I saw at my local field may also have been the one I saw at local airshows back in the late 70s/early 80s.

And to bring it back home, the logs in my Citabria show lower fuselage weld repairs done by one of the Sorrell brothers. I thought that was cool.

You don't see many Hiperbipes around but I think there's one on eBay right now.

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
Nice flying Chris! I'm guessing you have a lot of time in that plane based on how stable the flying is? How did you end up with a Hyperbipe being that they're kind of rare? Did you build it?

Hiperbiper

I searched for a long time to find a Hiperbipe starting around 2007. I'd seen them in magazines and at airshows and really took a liking to them. In 2010 I was about to pull the trigger on 776HB when a friend in AZ. called and put me in touch with 7HT's owner. Two days later I had a Hiperbipe! I've put around 225 hours on her since then and she is far and away my favorite airplane ever. A wonderful acro plane stressed for +6/-4 g, cross country @ 160mph and 10 gph and almost STOL takeoff and landing performance (500 and 800 respectively). Full flap (there's 4 of 'em) stall is 55, VNE is 225. Gas is in two tanks; main is 26 and acro tank is 13 gallons. That's over 1 hour of upside-down time without needing to flip back over...🙃
The designer was C.K. Sorrell in Tenino, WA.. He and his sons supplied kits that included almost complete wings comprising 3 wood spars, wood ribs and birch plywood skins. All you did was install the top skin and cover however you desired. Unfortunately, the rest of the plane entailed lots of parts that had to be formed, welded, machined and assembled. Build time was listed as 3500+ hours. From 1974 until 1976-ish sales of kits were brisk. Then the Christan Eagle hit the market with lots of pre-fabricated parts and a build time of 1000 hours...☹
7HT was actually built by John and Mark for the owner and used as a "demonstrator"...one look at the welding on the fuselage tubing and you know it was assembled by a pro. Mark Sorrell did the test flights on 7HT in 1982.

As of last year I could find 26 'bipes in the US, 2 in Europe and 1 in the UK. Unfinished kits pop up from time to time.
The Hiperbipe still holds the World Record for outside loops @ 208. (My head hurts just typing that...).
Not hard to work on either...IMAG0014.jpg IMAG0013.jpg
Anyway, that's my baby...

Chris

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
never really knew much about them but that is a pretty impressive round up of specs. easy to understand how it's your favorite and you fly it really well. :yesss:

Hiperbiper

Thanks Bartman,
Is is a lovely comfortable plane and easy to fly (even makes me look good...🤪).
Unfortunately; due to ongoing medical problems I don't think I'll be flying anymore.
At some point in time I'll have to come to terms with selling it...😭
At least I can still work on stuff...

Chris

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
oh man, that a bummer. sorry to hear it. enjoy it while you can. wish I was closer, I'd fly with you in a second so you could keep it.