Insurance time

aftCG

I have had my Citabria insured through Avemco since I got it (coming up on two years next month). It has been in the $700/yr range. Recently I had to provide my details to an insurance broker so I can ferry the BT-13 to Texas with it's new owner. I'll be providing the dual instruction he needs to ease the transition.

I mentioned the Citabria to the insurance broker because when I quoted the BT last season they offered to do the Citabria and it looked like I would save some money. Apparently it's not considered cool to change insurance companies unless the term is up, so I just filed it away until this recent request.

Last week I got my "hey your insurance policy is about to expire" letter from Avemco along with a new quote for over $1000. Screw that. I've never made an insurance claim of any kind in my entire life. They're about to get a "dear John" letter from me.

My new policy goes into effect the day my Avemco expires, $537/year. The new policy allows pleasure or business "for which no charge is made". I can let anyone fly the plane who has 500 total, 100 tail wheel, 25 in 7ECA. $0 deductible

Bob Turner

I like Avemco, but my broker beats them by about $900/year. I cannot get close to $600/year with full hull coverage.

Be sure to look at the fine print. When I ask for waivers of subrogation I sometimes find "ground operations only" in itty bitty letters. They fix that right away, but I wonder if they do that automatically to see who is reading?

JimParker256

1965 Champion 7ECA (O-200)
I've been using Aviator's Insurance Agency (818-780-6112) as my broker for the last 6-7 years, and they've always beaten Avemco by over $1000. Great folks to deal with, and VERY responsive. I just renewed the Old Republic policy (2nd year) on my 1965 7ECA for a very reasonable $564. ($415 for physical damage and $149 for liability). That's for a agreed-upon value of $25K, and with $1MM/$100K per person limits, and $0 deductibles. For comparison purposes, I hold Commercial/Instrument ratings with 1900 hts total, 60 hrs in TW (all 60 in the 7ECA).

Bruce

Thanks for reply I've been with old republic for over 8 years, my warrior is only $600 a year hull at 45,000 I asked about my ECA and was told $900 for $25,000 but after I finish covering it will raise it to $35,000 I think, and thought that was high I only have a little over 700 tt and 40 tail time

aftCG

That a good rate I recived a quote for my 79 ECA and it was a little over 900 year may I ask who your rate is with?
The broker is Wenk Aviation insurance (847-235-2559), but the underwriter is Old Republic.
I'm at about 1425 TT, 120 TW, 65 in 7 series Citabria. Commercial, Instrument and CFII
$28k hull value (I had it at $20k through Avemco). The coverage amounts are the same as Jim Parker (above) and have allowances for trip interruption, $25k to transport my plane to an airport if I have an (unexpected) off airport landing. It would most certainly be cheaper to burn it where it sits if that happens but that's the coverage.