Citabria Is there a way to get a ground adjustable-pitch prop on a 7ECA

kubark42

I think I will be going cross-country west-to-east just often enough that picking up a few knots can make a major difference, even though the primary purpose of the plane is local around-the-patch flying where a climb pitch is far more useful.

Best of both worlds would be a prop I can set for cruise the few times a year I need it, and keep in climb mode for the rest of the time. Even better if it's a wood/composite prop so as to reduce gyroscopic loading on the engine bearings.

I've been going through the TCDS and nothing jumped out at me, but if I am understanding correctly there could be other legal ways (STC, 337, etc...) to get an adjustable-pitch prop on the plane.

Thoughts?

Bob Turner

Might be easier to get a Decathlon with C/S prop. Last I heard they were about the same price as the equivalent Citabria. I get around 120 kts at 7500'.

Field approvals for a dramatic prop change on Lycomings are apparently difficult - we looked into a wood prop for a Great Lakes, and nobody would touch it. Vibration was the issue.