Kids got in the way...

Big Ed

N50247 - '79 Super D
I keep coming up with about $175k when it's all done but it going to be a like new, 10 TTAF, 0 SMOH and minimum weight Super D in my choice of colors!
I think you would break even on that, maybe better. Haven't been watching the market closely, but 10 year old planes were going for mid-100's last time I checked. Factory MSRP is $275K.

What are your big ticket costs?

Bob Turner

Now you have me worried. My Dec is insured for $52K. 1977, beautiful fabric, 1500 hr. Engine. Flies often.

I think Ed and I have complimentary positions. I have restored four J3s, working on a Taylorcraft right now, and rebuilt a badly damaged wing last year (not mine).

If you like working on projects and only have a middling interest in flying, get a basket case. If you really like to fly, get a beater, and fly it for three years, then restore it. At least you will have all the pieces and some familiarity with what you want in the end.

There is no single right answer that fits everybody.

Big Ed

N50247 - '79 Super D
Now you have me worried. My Dec is insured for $52K. 1977, beautiful fabric, 1500 hr. Engine. Flies often.

I think Ed and I have complimentary positions. I have restored four J3s, working on a Taylorcraft right now, and rebuilt a badly damaged wing last year (not mine).

If you like working on projects and only have a middling interest in flying, get a basket case. If you really like to fly, get a beater, and fly it for three years, then restore it. At least you will have all the pieces and some familiarity with what you want in the end.

I paid $46K for my Decathlon last summer. But it has ragged out 42 year old fabric/dope, a mid-time engine that sat for 5 years, wood spars of unknown history, and steel gear. And it was literally the cheapest Decathlon I found in my search. A metal spar Decathlon with aluminum gear is worth at least twice that, and I have seen nice ones on FB with asking prices north of $125K recently.

angelo c

There's a LOT to appreciate in that statement...it's real nice to have some seat time in your "project" to know how you would like to "improve" it during the rebuild.

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
What are your big ticket costs?
composite hartzell prop
0 smoh engine
wings, installed with hp ailerons, new struts and 1st annual
aluminum gear and wheels/brakes
instruments and avionics
interior
paint/fabric

then there are a dozen or two things that are $1000 each like oil hoses, new lower cowl, new rudder, new door, new boot cowl,, inverted oil hardware, all of the glass, tubes and tires, etc., etc., etc.

it is all rather insane to take this on but I think I can at least break even if I can't find partners to help recoup the costs.

Big Ed

N50247 - '79 Super D
composite hartzell prop
0 smoh engine
instruments and avionics
interior
paint/fabric

then there are a dozen or two things that are $1000 each like oil hoses, new lower cowl, new rudder, new door, new boot cowl,, inverted oil hardware, all of the glass, tubes and tires, etc., etc., etc.

it is all rather insane to take this on but I think I can at least break even if I can't find partners to help recoup the costs.
Wow, you are going bigly! What kind of panel are you going with?

I was doing back of the envelope math on mine. I think I could get a factory resto for $100-120K. I've got about $55K in the plane right now, so that puts me pretty darn close to you. I would probably stick with my existing steam gauge panel.

If I wanted to go cheap, I could probably get it done at local shops for 2/3 of that cost. The big decision would be the wings.

Hiperbiper

composite hartzell prop
0 smoh engine
instruments and avionics
interior
paint/fabric

Bartman, are you doing all those mods on 337's?
Chris

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
Bartman, are you doing all those mods on 337's?
Chris
a lot of it is per the TCDS so it will be in the initial re-assembly sign-offs. the panel exists only in a 2D Autocad drawing but I need to get it moving soon. i think there will need to be a 337 for the iPad mount and the engine monitor but I am not super well versed on that stuff. the panel will generate a lot of questions so there will probably be a thread just on the panel/electrics/avionics.

Big Ed

N50247 - '79 Super D
a lot of it is per the TCDS so it will be in the initial re-assembly sign-offs. the panel exists only in a 2D Autocad drawing but I need to get it moving soon. i think there will need to be a 337 for the iPad mount and the engine monitor but I am not super well versed on that stuff. the panel will generate a lot of questions so there will probably be a thread just on the panel/electrics/avionics.
How are you setting up the panel?

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
when I said the panel will generate a lot of questions, I meant that I will have a lot of questions about how to do it. :(

I will post a screenshot of the drawing when I get back to that computer on Wed. basically iPad in the center, analog airspeed and altitude, g meter, maybe vsi, Garmin comm and transponder/adsb, all in one engine monitor, then switches and cb's on the left. if it all fits that way

sorry for the thread drift @angelo c !

Big Ed

N50247 - '79 Super D
when I said the panel will generate a lot of questions, I meant that I will have a lot of questions about how to do it. :(

I will post a screenshot of the drawing when I get back to that computer on Wed. basically iPad in the center, analog airspeed and altitude, g meter, maybe vsi, Garmin comm and transponder/adsb, all in one engine monitor, then switches and cb's on the left. if it all fits that way

You receptive to suggestions, or past the good idea cutoff point?

angelo c

Ah...planes don't use CB radios anymore..... šŸ˜€

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
You receptive to suggestions, or past the good idea cutoff point?
open to suggestions but keeping it simple and inexpensive for avionics/instruments so the engine monitor can stay in the project. let me start a new thread this week so we don't hijack this one any worse than we already have.