7/8 GCBC lord mounts

Rick

I have finalzed the purchase of a 7gcbc, and apparently the fun starts now. Overall, everything looks pretty good on the plane and during the prebuy it was noticed that the exhaust was rubbing on the lower part of the cowl causing a little burn mark where the exhaust is touching. The lord mounts are sagging some, they don't look too bad, and if the exhaust wasn't rubbing I wouldn't touch them till the annual. My real question is, has anyone had a problem with clearance of the exhaust and the cowling? I don't feel like there should be such a tight tolerance that sagging mounts would cause them to touch. Between the mounts, a new ELT and the cost of the maintenance, looks like I'll be pushing out that ADSB a while longer. Thanks for any input

RIcitabria

Hi Rick:

I have the same problem with my 7KCAB. I thought the problem was old engine mounts so I installed new Lord engine mounts during my restoration and I am still having the same problem with the cowl being close enough to the exhaust stack that the paint blisters.

We’re you able to solve your similar problem? Is so, how did you accomplish it?

Thanks,

Jon

Rick

Hi Rick:

I have the same problem with my 7KCAB. I thought the problem was old engine mounts so I installed new Lord engine mounts during my restoration and I am still having the same problem with the cowl being close enough to the exhaust stack that the paint blisters.

We’re you able to solve your similar problem? Is so, how did you accomplish it?

Thanks,

Jon
Jon,

I replaced them and then a couple months later during the annual the shop owner said the charred spot on the cowl got way worse and wanted to do some major repairs, fortunately I took some pictures and proved it hasn't gotten worse. I had to leave prior to putting the lower cowl back on that day when then annual was complete, so I just continued to monitor for any changes. I didn't note any changes, but it was still pretty close. A few months later when I was putting the cowl back on after an oil change there still wasn't much clearance, and doing it my self was a pain. But after some trial and error I found that I had to tighten the screws and move the cowl around a bit until it was tight and there was enough clearance. After all that I had more clearance than I started with and I feel confident that if it were put on like that in the first place it would have avoided the burnt spot and the new mounts. I'd suggest just loosening the screws and playing around until you find the sweet spot. Good luck!

RIcitabria

Rick,

Thank you for the quick reply. I’ll give it a try and see if that solves the problem. Thanks and stay safe during this COVID mess.

Jon