Lycoming Part Numbers

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
Lycomings were made for masochists! If you've ever sent your complete and serviceable engine to a shop for overhaul, only to get it back a few months later, ready to be installed, consider yourself fortunate!

If on the other hand, you bought a pile of parts without knowing if those parts were actually for the airplane you thought you were buying, and if you had hoped to gather parts from that pile in order to have enough of them to eventually arrive at an overhauled engine, then you understand my pain! lol

And that's where the Lycoming Parts Catalog comes into play. But don't take my word for it, here's a great article by Paul Dye of Kitplanes magazine to explain it.
Screen Shot 2021-08-01 at 11.22.22.png

There's a link in the article to Lycoming's master list of superceded part numbers.

Here's the parts manual for the AEIO-360-H1A, the rear-governor version of the 180hp Super Decathlon engine. Have a look and count your blessings if you've never had to look through it before!!!

Last edited:

Explorer

Oh what fun! I have a O-360 that requires a used or new crank. I'd like to have the oil passage for a Constant Speed Prop. At this point not sure if I'm going to go CS. However you can cap it if you decide to go fixed pitch prop, you just can't go the other way around.
It would seem there's about 7 different part numbers for effectively the same crankshaft.

Bob Turner

If you buy used, there is an AD on the ones with lightening holes in the prop flange.