Need some info 7eca/7KCAB

7ECA

Hello guys and gals.

So I have a project plane that I’m working on and seem to be getting a bunch of different information from different people and not sure whos right and who’s wrong. So the story goes like this.

I’ve got a 7ECA that originally had a O-235. The previous owner had a prop strike so I bought the airframe minus engine With intentions of putting the IO-320-E2A and everything including header tank from a 7KCAB.

I’m being told from some that it’s just a log book entry and an inspection. And I’ve been told that I need an stc. Which one doesn’t exist for a 320-E2A.

So I would love some input from the knowledgeable folks here.

Currently the plane is in the USA. But is going to be registered in Canada as soon as this can get figured out.

Thanks so much in advance.

JimParker256

1965 Champion 7ECA (O-200)
I was under the impression that the IO-320 is only approved by the factory for airplanes that have their aluminum spar wings. It was my understanding that not even aftermarket aluminum spars are approved.
But I'm no expert, and I'm sure someone else who knows more than I do will chime in...

Bob Turner

Bart has a link to the type certificate A-759. Go there, somewhere around page 23 or so, and look at what engines are approved for your model. My iPad blacked out the proper pages, but it is a very old iPad.

Some (not me) say that anything you can find within the text of a type certificate is approved and thus a logbook entry.

I admit to being really liberal, and I interpret regulatory stuff to my advantage when there are ambiguities, but to me when a document says "approved only on models . . ." I cannot go along with the idea that it really means "approved on all models." Models can be converted, and there is some FAA guidance on that, but I personally would have copies of that guidance before I changed a model number.

Does that help?

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
The 320 series of engine should be fine on your airframe but it has to be the correct model according to the Type Certificate Data Sheet that Bob referenced above. If -E2A isn't listed then it probably isn't legal. When in doubt, call the factory, they're very helpful.

Post pics, it's never a bad time to see pics of Citabria! Even project photos brighten up our days! :)