New Canuck from Ontario

TeamLar

Hi all,
I am new here, we just acquired (father and I) an experimental 7ec-a in parts.

Basically a 1946 champ that we believe was converted to a citabria with a lycoming 235.
We have many questions, where can I see the difference between airframes, landing gears, wings, gross weigh, etc. We are trying to figure out exactly what we have and what modifications we should do, the ones that would improve our mission.
We have to remember that this aircraft is experimental and we can easily “improve” to our liking the aircraft.
Let us know what you guys think,
Erik

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
It was certified as experimental at some point?

Welcome to the site, looking forward to seeing pictures. I would encourage you to start a build thread for your project where you can post updates with lots of photos to give us something to drool over! :)

Bob Turner

I know nothing about Canadian regs, but unless you have an experimental certificate already, you would be in possession of a pile of parts in the USA. Check prices of flying 7ECAs in Barnstormers or trade a plane. You might be surprised!

My neighbor bought a 1965 in fair condition with a new overhauled Lyc for $25 grand, flew it for two years, then dumped it on eBay for $19 grand. Such a great deal, both times.

Bob Turner

I have to add - dollar for dollar, a used Citabria is the absolute best deal in aviation. The Mooney is not far behind.

aftCG

In Canada you can move a certified aircraft into an owner maintained experimental category. I'm envious of the possibility. On a similar note, if you are in the US and are looking to buy a Canadian aircraft the first question you need to ask is if it is in that category, because I think that is a one way trip.

OP,
Tell us about the pile of parts. I have an early 7ECA and might be able to answer some of your questions. Alternatively, there are some smart people here