New Member looking for a nice Decathlon

Hello forum
I am a long time pilot, first time aerobatic guy looking to learn aerobatics and compete at the Sportsman level (I am 60 so higher up wouldn't even be an option even if I was that good). Any suggestions as to the best Decathlon to buy under 90K would be appreciated!

I have found a nice updated Decathlon with the new metal wings and spades but it has the 150 Lycoming in it with a fixed pitch prop. Would it be suitable to compete up to Sportsman level?

Bob Turner

You can compete Sportsman in a 115 Citabria if you want. I competed once in a 150 Decathlon - it was my first Decathlon flight (the Citabria broke) and I beat several Pitts and a Stevens Acro.

To answer your question - there is a Dec here - metal spar, c/s 150. It has been sitting outside, and is not being flown, but it gets a careful annual every year. I am guessing 40 would take it.

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
Where are you located Mark? If you're near sea level then you should be fine with a 150, higher up and you might be able to make an argument for 180hp but, like Bob said, Sportsman should be plenty doable with 150hp.

And welcome! Glad you found us!

I am in Dallas, Texas so that isn't an issue. The one I was looking at sold, so very interested in finding out about the one Bob Turner speaks of.

THanks!

Hey guys, still in the market. Never heard from the lady that owned the one in San Diego Bob.

Any tips on a good one under 75k is appreciated.

Bob Turner

The San Diego airplane has metal spars, but has been sitting outside. Not sure what she wants to do - with a budget of $75 grand look for one with metal spars, recent engine and prop, and really good fabric. They are out there. A big plus is aluminum gear legs. Mine has the taller instrument panel - great for staying instrument current.

Fifty should get you a really good one with wood spars.