New Member looking for a Scout. Any dog owners passengers?

Ington6

Hi everyone.
I’m new over here but am a long time admirer of Citabrias, having done my original tail wheel endorsement in one. These days I’m on the lookout for a Scout if one becomes available. My ideal goal would be a setup where I could fit my light lady, myself, and dog. Seems possible with the gross weight but I would love to hear your stories. And of course, if you know of a Scout for sale, let me know. Thanks!

Goodyear

Hi everyone.
I’m new over here but am a long time admirer of Citabrias, having done my original tail wheel endorsement in one. These days I’m on the lookout for a Scout if one becomes available. My ideal goal would be a setup where I could fit my light lady, myself, and dog. Seems possible with the gross weight but I would love to hear your stories. And of course, if you know of a Scout for sale, let me know. Thanks!
You can definitely fit them all in the Scout. Empty they weigh 1350-1450 (mine is 1380) so useful load ranges from 700-800 lbs. they either have 36 gallons or 72 gallons fuel tanks (2 or 4). With 36 gals on board (3.5 hrs) you have anywhere from 480 to 580 payload left.

Big Ed

N50247 - '79 Super D
I've always wanted to fly my dog. Size isn't an issue, as he is 50 pounds. I would guess it would not work well solo with the dog in the baggage area, as there would be nobody to assist with dog management.

What about noise?

Mark Hoover

We have some mutt muffs for him. Truthfully, he likes to fly only because he knows there is a river bank and a stick at the destination. He is a bit nervous for takeoff and landing then settles down. Probably just needs more time in the plane. My wife does help with keeping him calm although I have flown solo with him before.

I don’t know how well the mutt muffs actually work. Makes us feel like we are doing our best to help out with the noise though.

Goodyear

I've always wanted to fly my dog. Size isn't an issue, as he is 50 pounds. I would guess it would not work well solo with the dog in the baggage area, as there would be nobody to assist with dog management.

What about noise?
In the Scout you can remove the back seat and the stick very easily. Just stow them in the baggage section and let your dog ride on the floor directly behind the pilot seat. And you can move the cargo net up to just behind the pilot seat if you want to use one.
The Scout is extremely versatile if you are flying solo.

Big Ed

N50247 - '79 Super D
In the Scout you can remove the back seat and the stick very easily. Just stow them in the baggage section and let your dog ride on the floor directly behind the pilot seat. And you can move the cargo net up to just behind the pilot seat if you want to use one.
The Scout is extremely versatile if you are flying solo.
I have an older Decathlon. The seat comes out reasonably easy, though the 4 frame lugs protruding through the floor would be a paw hazard. Have not tried to pull the stick. I assume it's a thru bolt, castle nut, and cotter pin?

Goodyear

With a quick connector for the push to talk. You simply disconnect the wires at the base of the stick after removing the bolt.

Goodyear

You could put one inch foam used for weight lifting gyms covered with a blanket that will put the floor above the lugs. The foam doesn't weigh much at all, although in a Scout weight is not ever a problem.

Big Ed

N50247 - '79 Super D
You could put one inch foam used for weight lifting gyms covered with a blanket that will put the floor above the lugs. The foam doesn't weigh much at all, although in a Scout weight is not ever a problem.
Great idea, that would also protect the dog from my ELT, which is bolted to the floor in the baggage area.