New member looking for shoulder belts

Dschneider3160

Hi All,
Our 1979 Citabria 7ECA came with lap belts only (front and back). I understand that an option in 1979 was to get a single shoulder belt for each seat front and back. The front has an inertia reel and the back has an adjustable length connection. I’m hoping someone can help me find some used original shoulder belts. The only other option is to buy and install 4 or 5 point hooker harnesses which come with an STC. As far as I have been able to find, there is no STC for shoulder belts, which is why we are trying to find standard shoulder belts for the 1979 Bellanca Citabria. If anyone has an idea as to how to add a set of shoulder belts I would greatly appreciate your input. The 4/5 point harness system requires extensive headliner cutting and modifications that the standard shoulder belt would not. I appreciate any knowledge you may have about this subject. Thanks!
- David

Goodyear

Post a picture of your headliner. Sometimes there is an attach point over the left shoulder of the rear seat.

Bruce

Hope this helps it from 79 ECA that I’m recovering neither belt had the Inertia real I’ve included pic of belts and mounting points to help and see if you have mounting points in the plane now I’m still debating hookers if I go this way I would sell these belts F4304E55-A700-443F-A869-C6951523A647.jpeg9025F6E0-8147-418B-8295-F22C71A4B0E3.jpegBD39ECE3-0A4F-4561-B1F5-FE1D82C4A65C.jpeg

Dschneider3160

Thank you, Bruce. I will check for these attachment points. The lap belts have the shoulder belt attachments on the tongue. If you decide to go with Hooker, please keep me in mind.
David

Bob Turner

Sell? Yuk!

I forget the date, but it is probably 1979. Prior to that, shoulder harnesses do not need TSO tags, STCs, or even an IA signature.

Hooker is the best. I use Silver Parachute, which are identical, but without TSO. I loved inertia reels in the 737, but absolutely hate them in light aircraft. I get so tangled up . . .

Spruce sells Rupert TSO lap straps, and acceptable matching shoulder harnesses. I would opt for a lap strap too, but haven’t yet equipped the Cubs that way.

BB57

From the AOPA webpage:

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2018/february/22/aircraft-seat-belts-part-2

"If you are flying a certified aircraft, the FAA has gone to great lengths to make it easy to retrofit a shoulder harness for your aircraft. According to the FAA’s policy statement on the topic, installation of shoulder harnesses in aircraft is a minor change if:

1. The aircraft was manufactured before July 19, 1978, for front seats and Dec. 12, 1986, for rear seats;
  2. TSO-C114 belts are used;
  3. No drilling or welding has been performed;
  4. The mechanic doing the install consults Advisory Circular 43.13-2A, Chapter 9, for information on restraint systems, effective restraint angles, attachment methods, and other details of installation;
  5. The installing mechanic makes an entry in the aircraft's maintenance log.
By defining this as minor change, aircraft owners and mechanics can add shoulder harnesses using a simple logbook entry. No supplemental type certificate (STC) or field approval is required in order make the modification, so long as you can complete the installation without drilling or welding. If shoulder harnesses were optional on your aircraft, or if you can clamp a bracket onto a structure without modifications, you’re in luck. However, that still leaves a large number of aircraft that require an STC or field approval for the modification."

And:

"Another option to consider is modifying the aircraft using parts from a later model of the same aircraft equipped with shoulder harnesses from the factory. Depending on the situation, your A&P mechanic can determine if a field approval will be required for the change or if it can be accomplished with a simple logbook entry. For example, let’s say that parts from a later model aircraft are a direct fit for your aircraft, but brackets must be riveted into place as part of adding the components from the later model aircraft. If all of the parts are from the factory and both aircraft are on the same type certificate, your A&P may determine that the alteration is minor and only document the work in the logbooks. Every situation is different, so you will need to consult with your mechanic to see if this is an option for you or if an FAA major change field approval is required in your unique situation."

----

Evren if you need to do a major alteration and a 337, it's comparatively streamlined as the FAA wants people to install shoulder harnesses in older aircraft. Unlike some field approvals, your mechanic probably won't run into issues with the FSDO. Per Advisory Circular 43.13-2A, Chapter 9:

166. SIMPLIFIED INSTALLATION CRITERIA.

To encourage the addition of shoulder restraints to existing aircraft with a minimum of testing and engineering necessary, yet provide a satisfactory restraint, the following general conditions will be acceptable.

a. Utilize the original seat belt attachments and either the original or a new belt provided with shoulder harness fittings.
b. Use webbing approved for standard seat belts (TSO-C22f).
c. Use hardware approved for use on seat belts per TSO-C22f.
d. Secure the lower end of the shoulder strap to one side of the original seat belt or belt anchorage.
e. Use a mount for the shoulder restraint independent of the seat such as the aft or ceiling mounts per paragraph 128.
f. Test the added mount by applying a test load of at least 500 pounds forward at the shoulder point.

Bob Turner

New one on me - I thought the pre 1978 shoulder harness material could be SAE or some equivalent standard. Lap belts need to be TSO.

aftCG

Sell? Yuk!

I forget the date, but it is probably 1979. Prior to that, shoulder harnesses do not need TSO tags, STCs, or even an IA signature.

Hooker is the best. I use Silver Parachute, which are identical, but without TSO. I loved inertia reels in the 737, but absolutely hate them in light aircraft. I get so tangled up . . .

Spruce sells Rupert TSO lap straps, and acceptable matching shoulder harnesses. I would opt for a lap strap too, but haven’t yet equipped the Cubs that way.
Pretty sure everything I've flown in the past two years has had Hookers. First question I asked about Kitfox was if I could upgrade to hookers. Response was "uh, it comes with them"

Dschneider3160

All excellent information. Thank you everyone.
BRUCE,
I have checked my 1979 7ECA and I can confirm that both the front and rear attachment points DO exist. If you decide to go for Hooker Harnesses I would be very, VERY happy to buy these shoulder belts from you. Please let me know what you decide to do. I’m certainly happy to send you my direct contact info if there is a way to do so outside this forum as I am not sure the etiquette of this forum allows for the posting of personal info. I certainly do appreciate the opportunity to buy these shoulder belts from you.
Very Best Regards,
David Schneider.

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
All excellent information. Thank you everyone.
BRUCE,
I have checked my 1979 7ECA and I can confirm that both the front and rear attachment points DO exist. If you decide to go for Hooker Harnesses I would be very, VERY happy to buy these shoulder belts from you. Please let me know what you decide to do. I’m certainly happy to send you my direct contact info if there is a way to do so outside this forum as I am not sure the etiquette of this forum allows for the posting of personal info. I certainly do appreciate the opportunity to buy these shoulder belts from you.
Very Best Regards,
David Schneider.
David,
Hover your pointer over Bruce's username and then click on "start a conversation" in the little box that opened up

BB57

New one on me - I thought the pre 1978 shoulder harness material could be SAE or some equivalent standard. Lap belts need to be TSO.
It might still be approvable, but it won't meet the simplified criteria for doing it with just a logbook entry.

Bob Turner

From the link to the FAA document above:

We also agree that we should allow minor change installations that use non-TSO-C114 harnesses. However, apart from TSO-C114 harnesses, we will accept only those harnesses that meet the Society of Automotive Engineers Aerospace Standard 8043, harnesses produced under a Parts Manufacturer Approval (PMA) or harnesses that meet aircraft military specification requirements. We have revised the policy statement to include these other harnesses.

Bob Turner

I think the original came up from the floor, over your shoulders, and is subject to an AD. Better to have them come from behind and slightly above your shoulders.

TimDavie

are you saying you have an extra harness for sale or is that what is in your Super D? is that harness basically like a Hooker harness or is it different?
I have an original 5-point harness that Bellanca supplied with my 8KCAB sitting in a drawer in my hangar. It is the type that came up from an inertial reel under the seat and over both shoulders. The shoulder straps start as one piece attached to the lower back part of seat and comes up between the seat and the back-rest splitting into shoulder straps. lap belts attached from the chair left and right, and crotch strap from front of chair. It was great for motoring around I just didn't feel comfy doing sustained inverted as I do for 30 sec. to 1 minute some times. To release, you turn the star latch and everything comes un-done. I'll sell the harness and inertial reel for $50. I don't remember seeing an AD on them but could be wrong.

Last edited: