New Sub-forum, Engines

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
New area for posting engine build threads, questions, articles, etc.

Engine glam shots are strongly encouraged! :)

Bart

Robert

Bart,
I wonder if there is anyone out there that has had experience with O-200 push rod lengthening. I'm aware that we can buy various lengths of rods but they aren't cheap but I am. Question ( not certified engines ) would there be a problem pulling the ball end out of the pushrod and putting a spacer cut off an old piece of 4130 pushrod tube? The spacers could be cut about .020-.030" thick with a lathe. (the shank on the ball is app. 1/2" long and is a tight fit to the tube).
Perhaps this is dangerous in that these spacers might break but I think the pressures on the spacer would be minimal.
Thanks in advance
Robert

Robert

Why not just cut a new 4130 tube to the length you want. (Experimental of course}.
Sully, Yes I will order some, it'll probably take 3-4 weeks to get here. I just thought some one that knows what they're doing might say yay or nay to the idea of adding a spacer.
Thanks
Robert

Bob Turner

Let us know. I always need one or two longer ones. An outfit in Colorado sends them new at half price - markup must be wild on these.

aftCG

I've heard of cutting them and putting them back together but not adding a spacer.

Robert

I've heard of cutting them and putting them back together but not adding a spacer.
On close examination I see there is a taper to the shank on the ball, it may be a step taper, I can't really tell with my crude equipment, looks to be about .003-.004" so I think the right thing to do is to replace the tube and not add spacers.
Thanks everyone for your input.
Robert