Parachutes in Citabrias and Decathlons

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
Hi all,

Was wondering what works best in our planes. I think my seat cushions come out to make room for a parachute but I'm high-waisted and thought a seat pack would be best.

Confused.....Who's using what?

Thanks!

Bob Turner

I bought a pair of Security chutes used - $500. About went broke repacking them. My rigger got replaced with a new guy who took them apart and threatened to cut the risers, because they were 20 years old. Nothing wrong with them; just old. Sold them for cheap.

Now my aero is solo, and gentle. No more force on the structure than there is in a steep turn.

aftCG

My plane came with a Parapharnalia Lil' Softie. The backpack chute is Smurf blue just like the interior of my plane. I knew it hadn't been packed in a while and I assumed anything with "Lil' " in the name would be rated for lightweights. Turns out it can handle a 240lb meat sack attached to it, so I was fine.

I flew up to AWO because that is where Parapharnalia is located. Super nice people. The woman helping me checked the tag and gave me the (mostly expected) bad news: The chute was just over 20 years old and they won't repack one after that.

She did offer me $500 trade in, and told me they would spend time letting me sit in my plane with both seat pack and backpack types. She expected that I would probably like the seat pack style after I got over the loaded diaper feeling.
My "one size fits many" fixed seats came with cushions to be added/removed as needed to suit the crew. The seat pack type is what I would need for the T-6, so that is the way I've been leaning.

It hasn't been a priority for much of this season, but I'm now starting to explore flight that is not exactly straight and level.

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
Hi all, found a seven year old Para-Phernalia Softie seat pack that is specifically made for the Citabria/Decathlon seats. Paid $1300 for it and it's in excellent condition.
It's being repacked as I type by Master Rigger Shauna Finley at Sussex County Airport in NJ. How do I end this....wish me luck??
IMG_20191123_085857536.jpg IMG_20191123_090737656.jpg

Last edited:

aftCG

Hi all, found a seven year old Para-Phernalia Softie seat pack that is specifically made for the Citabria/Decathlon seats. Paid $1300 for it and it's in excellent condition.
It's being repacked as I type by Master Rigger Shauna Finley at Sussex County Airport in NJ. How do I end this....wish me luck??
View attachment 1897 View attachment 1898
Meh. What's the worst that could happen?

Good score

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
She wasn't willing to dismiss packs older than twenty years. She emphasized that inspection can reveal most all flaws and a chute that passes inspection and tensile testing of the lines should be fine to fly with. Learned a lot from being there while she worked.