Pending Decathlon Purchase

Mjk1951

Will be looking at a 78' Super Decathlon this weekend.... Any specific things that I need to be aware of when doing the pre-buy inspection... I have some experience with the 7GCBC model.

Bob Turner

Simple airplane. You might want to roll it upside down and look at the oil pressure. Make sure the prop AD is complied with, and the 25 hour crankshaft inspection. Also look for MS bolts on the landing gear. Easy to spot; they take an allen key. Big discount for U bolts! Nobody has U bolts any more.

Other than that, just normal stuff. Check the battery area for corrosion, and make sure both fuel tanks are full and not leaking. I have little respect for folks who sell airplanes with empty fuel tanks.

Mjk1951

Thanks Bob, Maybe some elaboration on the 25 crankshaft AD and the prop AD... is the prop AD just for Hartzell props??

Bob Turner

Before you buy, familiarize yourself with the few ADs on these aircraft. We ought to do a synopsis here, but not this morning, at least for me. I have done it for Cubs on other forums, so maybe at some point.

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
Congrats! I was looking at that listing yesterday, let us know all about it when you get home!
Bart

Mjk1951

It,s in very good shape.... going to try and find a ferry pilot to move it.... I can't get away from home for too long... it's in Nebraska. 250 miles from nowhere.... could be a challenge.

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
I've got Decathlon time........ :)

but too swamped to be of any use to you although nothing would make me happier than taking time to go do that for one of our beloved members!

Bob Turner

I am going to send a link to Marie-Claire in Georgia. A Decathlon would be relaxing for her after all the weird stuff she ferries.

MA Cantin

Congrats on your new plane! Looking forward to hearing all about it! 👍🏻

aftCG

Ferrying planes is among my most favorite activities. The longer the trip the better.

Congrats on the new ride.