Photos from the June, 2020 Aeronca Fly-In :)

Bartman

Administrator
Staff member
Enjoy!

1652106770418.png

An unintended consequence of starting this site has been that I've fallen in love with the old Aeroncas! A friend asked if I'd help him finish his private license in his Chief so I'm currently working to have my CFI reinstated by mid June! Couldn't say yes quickly enough!

Vintage

That’s the event I should have attended but difficult travel from my part of the country. Instead I went to the Aeronca Bellanca fly in at Columbia Ca.
It was fine, just not very many Champs.

Bob Turner

I wouldn’t look twice at an early Champ or Chief - then I picked up aChief in Florida and flew it here. Only let me down once - the carburetor came apart on final into Pecos. Nice aircraft - 65 hp, Summer!

But geez - those brakes are horrible.

Picked up a Champ with O-200 in Denver a while back. Stunning performance - right over AngelFire just like a Super Cub!

I have a field approval to replace Champ mechanical brakes with Grove.

Desert7GCBC

Back in the 70's, after getting my PPL in a 150, I bought a raggedy Chief for $2500 and flew her 200 hours off a 1400' grass strip over the next couple of years. That old girl truly taught me to fly. Lots of great memories. Landing at Oshkosh '77, one of the Marshallers screwed-up and directed me to park on the show line. I neglected to clean her up after flying 700 miles at low altitude along the "bug smasher route". Upon returning one afternoon, I saw that the Judges had visited and noted on the "Judge Me" placard "FOUND LACKING". That airplane had lots of adverse aileron yaw and it was great fun taking Cherokee drivers for a ride and challenging them to do some dutch rolls. One of them, a CFI, thought it handled so dangerously that it shouldn't be considered airworthy! According to registration information, she now lives on the East Coast and I hope someone is enjoying her as much as I did.